Please sign in to post.

cell phone

has anyone used autoeurope's cell phone rental service in Italy? They tell me they will mail a phone to us in the US that we can take with us to Italy and mail back when we return. Good idea or no??

Posted by
11329 posts

I have not used AutoEurope's service, but did use a similar one from www.cellularabroad.com. I was happy with it. Wanted to have the Italian number before we left the states so I could give it to my Italian contacts (lodgind and tours) as well as family here for emergencies. It was a good system for one trip. Now that I know we will be back every 15 months or so, I am buying a used quad band GSM and plan to rent a SIM from them. Again, I want the number before we travel. Fits my personal comfort level.

Posted by
653 posts

I bought a TIM phone when I arrived in Milano. It was a simple model, but I could text and call people, and there was no charge for incoming calls. The phone was 29 euros and then I bought minutes whenever I needed them at kiosks, tabacchi, other places. I plan to take it back with me next year and use it again.

Posted by
7737 posts

Don't know about them, but we did use Rebelfone this past May. I would give them mixed reviews, but it sure was handy having two cellphones.