Please sign in to post.

cell phone

I have a plain straight talk phone from
Walmart. Do I need to purchase another cell phone over in Italy? If so, can you give me some suggestions.
Thank you so much. You all are the best!

Posted by
7514 posts

You can look through some of the topics archived on this site and find information about cell phone use in Europe, but some basics to check out:

The phone first must be the correct frequency band for Europe, many phones in the US are Multiband or GSM phones and will work. Look for a help number associated with your phone and ask them if it will work in Europe.

Second, I assume this is a Pay as You Go type plan, again, look at the details to see if the minutes are good internationally, or at least they do not charge you an arm and a leg to use internationally.

Finally, if the phone works there, but your plan does not, then consider looking into purchasing a SIM card over there. That will give you an Italian number, but a functional cell phone.

If all else fails, then yes, there are places to buy a cell phone there, rent one, or purchase a cheap unlocked cell phone here that will work there.

Posted by
1501 posts

I've done this two different ways in my 15 years of traveling in Europe:

I buy the least expensive phone in a phone store first day on arrival. They put in an Italian sim card, and I put about eu20 on it, and top it off at a tobacci as I run out of minutes. The inexpensive cellphones are around eu50. ANY phone store can sell you one, but you will need to have your passport with you, due to terrorists who use cellphones for illegal purposes (so I was told).

A few years ago, my husband managed to get an iPhone unlocked. The phone stores here are very reluctant to do this, as it deprives them of the roaming fees. When we arrive, again, we go to the closest phone store (Wind, Orange, Vodaphone, etc) and get an
Italian Sim card inserted and about eu20 for minutes that cover texts and calls. We don't usually run out.

I don't use the phone for checking emails, etc., just phone calls home once in a while and to call ahead to the next location, hotel, etc., to confirm reservations. I use the free wifi in the hotel or apartment I'm using.

Posted by
388 posts

Both Paul and Donna's answers are well said. I don't think I would add anything to them. If you decide to go the route of buying GSM sim cards for your GSM phone, you can get them on a variety of sites. Two that I've used were www.maxroam.com and www.telestial.com.

Posted by
32200 posts

shaarala,

It's highly unlikely that your Straight Talk phone will work in Europe, as they appear to only be equipped with the two North American frequency bands, and some versions operate only on CDMA networks which WON'T work in Europe. Do you remember if there was a label on the packaging for the phone that stated "GSM-T"?

As your present phone probably won't operate in Europe, you have several choices.....

1. Purchase a phone & SIM card when you arrive in Italy. You won't have any trouble finding cell shops as the various networks will have numerous outlets in each city. Note that in Italy you'll probably have to register with your Passport and you may need a Codice Fiscale (not sure if that's still the case).
  2. Purchase an unlocked quad-band GSM phone off E-Bay or Amazon such as these models. When you arrive in Italy, just buy a SIM card and place it in the phone. You'll likely still need to register the SIM with your Passport.
  3. Buy a phone with SIM from one of the travel phone firms such as Roam Simple, Cellular Abroad, Telestial, Mobal, EuroBuzz, One SIM or others.
  4. Buy an unlocked phone of E-Bay (or wherever) and use with a SIM card and plan from one of the travel phone firms listed above. This provides more ability to choose the type of handset that you prefer, whether "flip", "candy bar" or whatever.

A few thoughts on each option....

• With a phone and/or SIM card purchased in Italy, you'll be using a PAYG plan so "topping up" will be required. If you plan on going to other countries, your minutes will be depleted slightly faster since you'd then be "roaming" and it may be difficult to top-up your card outside of the country of purchase.
  • With a phone and/or SIM card purchased from one of the travel phone firms, many of these use a number based in the U.K. but provide consistent rates throughout most countries in western Europe. Many use post-paid billing with calls charged to a credit card, so no issues with topping-up. The phone will be operational as soon as you step off the plane. You'll have to check the websites for the firms I listed above for details on rates, etc.
  • If you decide to use a SIM card with one of the Italian networks, you'll be limited to using only the carrier that sold the card. If you decide to use a SIM card from one of the travel phone firms, your phone should switch carriers if necessary, in order to obtain the strongest signal. The various cell networks in Italy have better coverage in some areas than others, so being able to access the strongest signal is an advantage. I've found that my phone seems to often switch carriers even when walking around one particular city.
  • If you buy a phone off E-Bay (or wherever), be sure to check the Charger to ensure that it's designed for operation from 100-240 VAC (the spec's will be listed somewhere on the Charger - look for the words "Input Voltage"). You will of course need a Plug Adaptor in order to use the North American style plug in European outlets. The standard "Euro" Plug Adaptor has two round pins.
  • My comments assume you're planning to just use a basic phone. If you're planning to buy a model that includes data (ie: a Smartphone), the picture changes so my suggestions would be different in that case.

Happy travels!

Posted by
8 posts

After reading I used my iPhone connected to one of AT&T's travel plan. I have iPad to catch up on emails when wi fi is available.
I added 30minutes talking for $30 and 50 texts for $10. I'm, using only when necessary if someone from the states has to reach me. Otherwise I receive emails which keeps me connected (on iPad only). AT&T has a 30 day plan so you have to sign up for it in advance.