Please sign in to post.

Catacombs of Priscilla

Help, please. The website says that there are guided tours in English, French, etc. etc. I can't find the time of the tours. Where can I find this information?

Posted by
11613 posts

Is there an email or contact phone number on the website? I would try emailing first.

Posted by
15827 posts

Susan, as far as I know, you just show up the hours that the catacombs are open, buy a ticket, and wait for the next tour in English or other language available. Taking a cruise through reviews on Trip Advisor, it doesn't appear that they have pre-scheduled time slots for their tours; a complaint at least one visitor commented on.

From another:
"Even after the visit, we're not clear on when tours, including tours in English, take place. The folks running the place seemed to wait until a certain critical mass had gathered, then sent us on which our guide. The wait for us was around a half hour. "

They do have an email address:
Email: info@catacombepriscilla.com

Posted by
248 posts

Thank you. I will email. Our schedule will be fairly tight IF we even make it to the Catacombs, so I don't know that I'll be able to go and wait for "critical mass".

Posted by
11613 posts

If you are tight on time, pick up a brochure or guidebook onsite and take the first tour in whatever language is offered. These catacombs are beautiful.

Posted by
248 posts

See, the beauty of the Rick Steves forums is that both very detailed, informed answers are given to complex questions AND then there are the simple, why didn't I think of that? answers such as this. You're right...if I do my homework I can benefit from the tour in whatever language. (How do you say duh in Italian?!) Thanks. We really want to go.

Posted by
23296 posts

Also be sure to check the day that they are closed. Either Sunday or Monday.

Posted by
15827 posts

(How do you say duh in Italian?!)

I've no idea but if you find out, let me know as I have to "DUH!" a lot...with a sound slap to the forehead. šŸ˜‰
Good luck with your tour!

Posted by
11613 posts

The slap to the forehead is sufficient, Kathy!

Posted by
2186 posts

When we went there was no one else. After 15-20 minutes we got a "private" tour - in English. I certainly agree with the advice to take the tour no matter what language.

Posted by
248 posts

Thanks, all. I emailed and here is my answer:

"We have no fixed schedules for our tours. We have tours every 35/40 minutes, usuale one in english, and one in italian, alternate.
If you can write a new mail a few days before the second week of may I could give you more precise information.
But Iā€™m sure there will be no problem to offer you an english guided tour."

I will certainly email before we go but be ready to take the English or the Italian. Hopefully this will help others.