Please sign in to post.

catacombs

We will be staying at the Hotel Gerber in Rome near the Vatican we want to go to the Catacombs of San Sebastian. Would appreciate best way to get there also how, if possible, to get an audience with the Pope. Maybe too late we will be there July 10, also how close is the Hop on Hop off bus? Any information would be appreciated. Thank you

Posted by
6 posts

I went to the catacombs via taxi but had the issue of getting a return taxi to go back to city center since there were no taxis passing by. My only advice to line up the return up front.

Posted by
11613 posts

There are buses that go to the Catacombs along the Via Appia Antica, much more reliable and less expensive than the ho-ho bus. Your hotel can access the bus schedule for you, there may be more than one bus. I've taken several but I don't remember the numbers, and sometimes the routes change slightly.

Posted by
59 posts

We followed Rick Steves' instructions for the bus and it was perfect. The bike shop he recommends was great and it was one of the best days of the trip.

Posted by
79 posts

It's bus 118 that runs up and down the Via Appian Antica. We took it 4 days ago from the Termini train station, and also for the return.