Please sign in to post.

Cartafreccia

My husband and I will be using trains for a few parts of our trip but we will also be renting a car, so I’m fairly sure we don’t want a pre-purchased pass. I’ve looked on trenitalia for the best way to obtain a Carta d’Argento- over 60 card. Conflicting info or I just don’t understand- purchase on line or purchase at a train station or authorized office. IF I purchase online, I need an Italian mailing address which I could obtain through our accommodation. However, since it also says they can be purchased at the station with identification, etc., which sounds infinitely easier, I’m hoping some of you have had experience with one or the other avenues and can advise me. Thank you.

Posted by
20254 posts

Carta Freccia does not help much if you purchase advance discount tickets. Super Economy ticket prices often are better than a discounted senior ticket as the big discount is only off of full fare Base prices.

Posted by
3812 posts

AFAIK the Argento Card can't be purchased online, it's different from the Trenitalia's fidelity and credit card called CartaFreccia.

The purpose of the Argento Card is to let old people take many high speed trains at the last minute with a little discount.

Usually tourists plan in advance, so the discounted fares listed above by Sam are cheaper. The card costs 30 € and you get only 15% off on the Base (i.e. the top, walk-up fare) tickets.

Be aware that Italotrenos' tickets for early birds are often cheaper than Trenitalia's.

Posted by
701 posts

Thank you both. Your answers have led me to reassess as most of the train travel we’ll be doing will be regional with only one class of service. Truly doesn’t make sense to pay for a card that would only allow us an advantage on a couple of segments, one of which may not happen anyway. Will look into the other site-thank you.

Posted by
32921 posts

Italo Treno isn't a different site for Trenitalia tickets, it is a private train company providing competing (and to my eyes, excellent) high speed service between major Italian cities.

https://www.italotreno.it/en

I mean, how many train companies do you know with a movie theater car? In second class?

Posted by
701 posts

Nigel, thank you. I did actually understand it’s entirely different. Checked the site and like the possibility very much. We HAVE to ride a high speed train while there-required by my husband-so most likely theirs will be the one. Their Venice to Florence offerings work well for our timing. Then trenitalia for regular travel. We really only have 2 legs that high speed is offered on-one leg may not even be needed. Then we have 3 short r/t planned, so nothing huge for the rails. We are planning on the Sunday Italian Trans-Siberian excursion from Sulmona to Carpinone when we are in Abruzzo. Pretty much sums up our train travel for this trip to Italy!

Posted by
3812 posts

It seems there is at least one train maniac in the group, am I right?
Note that the fastest Italian train is run by Trenitalia, not Italotreno. However, neither is allowed to top the 300 km/h between Venice and Florence.

Posted by
701 posts

Dario-my husband worked for Amtrak, in addition to being a ski instructor. He’s the culprit! As long as it’s high speed, it will tick that off the list, whether Trenitalia or Italotreno. Thank you.