Please sign in to post.

Carry On Luggage

Wondering what people are using for Carry-On luggage, if you follow Rick's advice...he recommends one carry-on & one backpack? Air France size specifications are 21.7" x 13.8" x 9.9" I am not finding luggage that meets these measurements...without reducing size of suitcase by a lot more than what is accepted here in the states for Carry on.

Posted by
2602 posts

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016IO9JFS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
After years of checking a bigger suitcase I finally went carry-on for my recent trip to London and bought the above from Amazon. I did not expand the bag nor over-stuff the outer pocket (though I did check it for the return flight fully stuffed and expanded). I don't think the very slight difference between 14.25" and AF's 13.8" would be noticeable, in fact I measured it at home and the height is 21", width is 14", depth is the stated 8". Going home my carry-on was a capacious LeSportsac tote.

Posted by
19092 posts

13.8" x 9.9" is a bigger cross-section than the conventional 14" x 9", so if you bag is soft and not overstuffed, it will deform to fit. If you have hard-shelled luggage you're in trouble.

But be careful of the length (I think the length limit as actually 12.65", not 12.7". (Not much difference really, but 21.7" would be technically over-sized.) US bags often meet a 22" limit - also over the AF limit. And, makers of rolling bags often ignore the space taken by wheels and handle, but airlines don't.

A recent test by Consumer Report found that most luggage that that the manufacturer said met carry-on limits was actually over-sized

I use an eTech 2.0 Weekender Convertible Junior (not currently available on Ebags), and it easily meets the carryon limits. The eTech 2.0 Convertible Jr. should not be confused with the Motherload Convertible Jr. I see Ebags is now selling a 3.0 version; it's almost a pound heavier and lacks a waist best (which the 2.0 has, but I never use).

For those people concerned about the weight on their shoulders with a convertible, with the waist belt on, I can loosen the shoulder straps of my bag until they are carrying no vertical weight. I think a convertible bag with a waist belt is easier on the back and shoulders than a roller that twists you around as you drag it and jolts your arms and shoulders every time you hit a bump in the pavement.

Posted by
27057 posts

I don't do carry-on, but I try to find a very lightweight suitcase. I don't think a carry-on should have to weigh 6 lb., or even 5 lb., though I know some of the top-quality bags are very sturdy, which makes them heavier. The weight is important enough to me that I'm willing to pay the penalty of having a bag that just won't last as long.

Posted by
392 posts

Two years ago, I found a website that listed all the airlines and their carry-on size restrictions.
The Rick Steves rolling carry-on worked for all but one or two (far-east based airlines that I'd never travel)
https://store.ricksteves.com/shop/p/rolling-carry-on

I bought two - for myself and wife - the wife's got a torn seam one our 1st or 2nd trip and the Rick Steves customer service people took care of us/it very fast and friendly.
A major thumbs-up.

Posted by
19092 posts

So far, I've never had a bag wear out. I usually find a better (i.e. light) one to replace the previous one before it does. I used two bags, a ca. 2000 RS convertible and an OPEC bag (1#13oz), for 11 trips (24 weeks) combined, in Europe, as well as some domestic travel, and they still are good as new.

If you carry on and don't give your bag up to the luggage gorillas, a lighter bag can last a long time.

Posted by
5835 posts

My RS Classic bag is a carry-on suitcase with shoulder straps, not a true back packing backpack. It's specified dimensions are:
21" x 14" x 9" and specified weight (empty) is under 2#. The dimensions are essential "max legal" and given that the bag does not have a rigid frame, it will squeeze into the airport sizing frames with a push if you don't over pack to bulging. Keep in mind that tare weight counts for airlines that have weight limits (commonly 8 kg).

My wife has the RS Rolling Carry-on. 21" x 13 ½" x 9" (including wheels)
Weight: 6.65 lbs

Posted by
11154 posts

AF looks to be in line with most US carriers, 22x14x9. This is what AS, AA, UA, DL show for carry on size

SWA has 24x16x10

What have you been using and who have you been flying on that the AF size is a problem?

Unless you pack your bag to the bursting point the fractional differences are unlikely to noticed or be a problem

Posted by
4151 posts

Those would be the exterior measurements, right? And they include wheels and handles, right?

I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that 21.7" x 13.8" x 9.9" is so dramatically smaller than, for example, Delta's 22" x 14" x 9" carry-on limit. Or the carry-on limits of United Airlines and Amercan Airlines which are exactly the same. All those airlines require the measurements to include handles and wheels. Earlier this week, I flew domestically on Alaska. Their carry-on limit is the same as the others.

What airlines have you been flying that accept bigger carry-on suitcases than that? And how much bigger?

If you're having a hard time visualizing packing light for carry-on, click on the blue link and watch this travel talk by Sarah Murdoch called Packing Light & Right.

The Packing Forum also has lots of discussion of this topic, and it's fun to see the diverse opinions. Luggage suggestions are discussed there, too.

Keep in mind that you will have to manage all your luggage on your own, whether on an RS tour or not.

P.S. I found lots of carry-on luggage simply by Googling that. However, you must pay attention to the overall measurements. Sometimes the vendors list only the box and don't include the wheels and handles. They're tricky that way.

If you're shopping in a store, take a measuring device. Measure from a flat hard surface like the floor to the top of the handle when it's on its feet, from the flat surface to the top of the side handle when it's on its side and from that surface to its front at the deepest point when it's on its back.

And no matter where you shop, look closely for the actual weight of the bag. The advertising will often say lightweight when the sucker weighs 7+ pounds. You want to keep the total weight at 20 pounds or less for lifting into the plane's overhead bin, carrying up and down stairs, you get the idea.

Posted by
4675 posts

I also found that European dimension in suitcases are difficult to find in the US. However, it can be done, if you have the time to look. The other option is to buy a suitcase in Europe, or order from a European flight magazine.
Considerations: weight- that 8 kg, 17.5 lbs , is a challenge. The best I usually can do is 18.5 lbs for a carry-on for two weeks of travel. Of course, winter clothes are heavier and bulkier. I have never been challenged by an airline , but if I were, I'd move stuff to my personal item [packable backpack.] I do not carry a purse, but use a travel vest with inside zipper pockets for my wallet and cell phone.

DO measure the length that the wheels use- this counts. As a result, I look for two-wheeled suitcases, as the two wheels are more likely to be built into the main part of the suitcase, so you may more packable space.

I like expandable bags in case I find that perfect something, and check on the way back home.

I look for a suitcase with great warranty, so if a wheel or zipper breaks on my perfect bag, the fix is free. I've found that suitcases with great warranties do seem to perform better.

I don't pay an extravagant amount. I just keep checking luggage outlet stores, and on-line sale sites, for last season's styles. My favorite brand is any Victorinox; a few months ago I found a Calvin Klein 2-wheel Flatiron style 20" carry on for way under $100.00, with dimensions very close to the European requirements.

Guess it depends on what you like doing with your free time- or treadmill time.

Safe travels.

Posted by
4675 posts

Just found the above suitcase [new] on an EBay search.

You should be able to find a 21" x 14" x9." These measurements should pass for Air FRANCE with no problem. There is nothing wrong with a case smaller than USA carry-on size. (22"x14"x9"). This is not a big space sacrifice. You can use the slightly smaller bag in USA. You can compensate with an "underseat" bag like a zippered tote bag or small duffle to place underseat.

Posted by
598 posts

I use an older version of the Ebags Mother Lode Weekender, never had any problems carrying on board. https://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/mother-lode-tls-weekender-convertible/143101?productid=10126285. For my personal item I use a cross-body purse, an older version of this one: https://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/piazza-day-crossbody-bag--20-wrfid/340526?productid=10553384. I'm not a backpack kind of gal and this purse has plenty of room to suit my needs. Good luck.

Posted by
473 posts

I use the Rick Steves convertible backpack and always carry on with no problems. Having no frame is a big help.

Posted by
3 posts

Carry-on luggage in Europe and Australia is strictly enforced, with airlines weighing and measuring your carry-on at the gate and forcing you to pay extra to check it if it is over 7kg ( around 15 pounds). Many budget airlines in Europe have smaller size restrictions than the ones Rick recommends, so check every airline you are travelling on. In many, both your personal item and your carry-on have to add up to a total of 7kg. This is way less than a previously mentioned 8kg for just the carry-on bag, so be careful.

Posted by
5835 posts

Yes, check your airline choice regarding carry-on weight limits. The 8 kg limit applies to some of the carriers I use (Lufthansa, SAS, Swiss) but as noted, others may have lower (or higher) restrictions. For example Air China's economy class carry on limit is 5 kg. For what its worth (best to check specfic airline rules):
https://www.tripsavvy.com/carrry-on-bags-size-weight-limits-1861874
Updated 12/12/17

Posted by
90 posts

I have been using Rick's convertible carryon backpack since 2001 for an annual overseas trip and many others around the US. I have never checked anything and never had an issue at the gate. I am still young enough where I am not bothered by carrying it as a backpack. I do NOT like trying to haul wheeled luggage across cobblestones. I have done it twice (not my bag - a family members) and wonder how people do it all the time.

My husband bought my bag for me as a gift in 2001 and it is still in great condition. It doesn't look like it has been schleped all over the world.

Posted by
238 posts

Just returned from Prague and we flew an Air France 777-300er from ATL to CDG - no issues with my TravelPro Crew6 which is listed as 22x14x9. We did transfer in Paris onto a Czech Air A319 and had to gate check the bag. On the returned flight from PRG to JFK on a Delta operated 767, again had no issues with the rollaboard in the overheard.