Please sign in to post.

Carrara Marble

In May 2018 we are taking our 7th RS tour this time "Village Italy". Has anyone ever shipped Carrara Marble home from the Carrara quarry visited on this tour. In 2018 I am going to replace kitchen counter tops and would like to use Carrara marble. Any comments on this pipe dream is appreciated. (I have Carrara marble two other places in home and understand the pros and cons). Sally in Richmond, VA

Posted by
15843 posts

Sally, I haven't taken this tour but the itinerary says "...pausing to marvel at the marble with a local expert at Carrara's snow-white quarries...." A very short visit isn't enough to mess around with the time-consuming task of picking out, measuring and arranging to ship marble from the quarries even if that IS possible. Based on just the price to ship a case of wine from Italy, I can imagine that shipping would cost a fortune. Also, should it arrive with flaws....

You'd be much better off dealing with a local stone supplier who orders it wholesale and can handle replacement should a piece have flaws or damage.

Editing to add: we just replaced a counter with a new slab of granite...which fell off the cart it was being moved on and shattered into pieces. Thanks heavens there was more good material at the shop to cut a new one (and we weren't responsible).

Posted by
7330 posts

A much less expensive option that might partially fit into your pipe dream - have someone take a really nice photo of you at the marble quarry that you could display in your kitchen or even the photo, plus a marble small scrap that you hand-carried home that could be displayed in a shadowbox in your kitchen.

Posted by
3112 posts

The visit is to the quarry, which is in the hills above Carrara. The places that sell the quarried marble are in or near the town, with many being near the train tracks. The only marble items available for sale during the tour visit will be small decorative items. Assuming it's practical to have marble countertops shipped from Italy, I believe you would either need to visit a place that sells/finishes marble slabs in lieu of visiting the quarry (you'd have about 2 hours) or you would need to return to Carrara by train the next day (your free day in Cinque Terre).

Posted by
16894 posts

On the quarry tour, you can visit a small gift shop, but it does not sell full slabs. And the importers who ship whole containers at a time to North American will absorb the heavy shipping costs more efficiently. If you have a stone yard near you, you will probably have a good selection of slabs from which to choose.

Posted by
4161 posts

I was on that tour in the summer this year. There are many quarries in the area. At the one you'll visit there's a display of different types and colors of Carrara marble. You'll also see big blocks being cut into smaller blocks which are carried down the hill on big trucks.

There are a few fun things you can buy in the shop. I got a white heart charm. I put it on the chain I was wearing and wore it the rest of the trip. I pack light.

I did a Google images search for Carrara marble to remember some of the types and colors. I was surprised to see how many places sell it in tiles or slabs here in the US, including places like Home Depot. However, there is a "Turkish Carrara" marble as well as a "Calacatta" marble that is easily confused with Carrara. Just a little FYI.

Posted by
370 posts

Sally,

Although kitchens have been adorned with marble countertops for many years, marble is porous and needs to be sealed. If you are at Carrara, I think that a small souvenir (even some tiles to use in a backsplash) would be a better option that the time spent looking for your perfect piece of marble for your countertops. Enjoy the trip!

Posted by
3177 posts

I totally agree with Marie. I owned a high end custom kitchen business and we always discouraged clients from using marble for kitchen countertops because of its porosity and maintenance needs. You don’t want permanent stains from red wine or tomato sauce ruing an expensive countertop. Because of the color variation in any type of top, it is advisable to purchase locally so you can see the compatibility of your cabinet and counter colors. If your heart is truly set on Carrara marble, you should be able to source it near your home.

Posted by
15843 posts

Yah, I'd never put white, porous marble in a kitchen workspace where it would get heavy use/abuse but that's just me.

Posted by
127 posts

I wanted to thank everyone who responded to my question six weeks ago. Your thoughtful response helped me sort out my priorities. I am not going to attempt to select marble for kitchen counters while on the tour. Have also decided due to your responses have against marble counter tops. Thank you.

Posted by
1091 posts

All Carrara marble actually is imported from Carrara, Italy. We have done our kitchen (3 slabs of marble) and all of our bathrooms in Carrara marble. Every kitchen designer will discourage you from using it, but there really is nothing that is its equal. I consider the patina to be charming and that is why I selected it. That being said, I would definitely go with honed versus polished marble in the kitchen. The maintenance is actually pretty easy; you just buy a sealer product and wipe it on once a year. Find a local slab yard and go pick out your favorite slab. They come in batches and so if you don't like the selection at one place, try another. We went to four different places and found a batch that we loved the veining and we bought them all. I would encourage you not to give up on your dream of having marble in your home. There really is nothing like having a piece of Italy to look at every day!!

Posted by
15843 posts

All Carrara marble actually is imported from Carrara, Italy.

Well, yes. Otherwise it would be called something else? 😉

Posted by
1025 posts

Many years ago, I rented a motorhome and drove through France and Italy with my family. We decided to stop in Carrara and to drive up the narrow road to the quarries. It was a splendid adventure, and there are chips and chunks of beautiful marble all over the area, as well as old cutting saws and bits of rusty metal.

As my kids grabbed little chunks of white stone ("Only one piece each, guys!") a six pound chunk of spotless white beauty took my breath away, and I picked it up and put it into the motor home. I know, I know--I shouldn't have done that, but that was before I realized that I shouldn't. I carried that piece of marble home in a day pack, and it rested at my feet as we crossed the Atlantic. It now enjoys a position of respect in my home, and I have purged myself of guilt for my illicit actions of long ago.

It sure is pretty there by the fireplace....

Posted by
127 posts

Oh April, thank you thank you for responding! I have a bathroom and bedroom a makeup vanity of Carrara marble and LOVE it. Both areas are honed and I have not had any issues in the seven year old makeup vanity And 2.5 years master bath Carrara marble counter top. April, you mention applying a sealer. Is this something I can do and what exact product do I use. Want to try it on upstairs bath before making decision on kitchen counter tops.
I also smiled at wbfey1 story and the joy the 6 pound “spotless white beauty” has brought him all these years! Yeah.