Please sign in to post.

Carnival in Venice 2010 plus "southern" Italy

I visited Italy for the first time (why-oh-why did I wait so long) in October: basically Venice, Florence, CT and Milan. I loved Venice best.

I am thinking about going back in February to see the Carnival and more of Venice, combined with a visit to southern Italy, where I hope the weather will be somewhat better. On my list are: Rome, Pompeii, Ravenna (for the mosaics), Sicily, and possibly a detour to Malta.

My airport options are Rome and Milan. 3-4 hour flights and one hour time difference.

Just because the days will be getting longer (less short!), it seems better to start in Venice.

I love museums, Roman ruins, history, scenery. I will be travelling solo, budget-conscious, not interested in great restaurants (eat vegetarian).

Forum posters: what do you think? Pros, cons, itinerary, advice.... no more than 14 days.

Posted by
2186 posts

Better save Sicily for its own trip - we've been there twice for two weeks each and have barely made it around to most of the places we wanted to see. One trip was in mid to late March and it was COLD. Those old stone buildings are the devil to heat (and heat is very expensive in Italy), so your budget lodgings will be colder inside than it is outdoors.

Posted by
15591 posts

Thanks, Janet. I will take Sicily off the list for wintertime. And if I can't fill up 2 weeks, I'll make it a shorter trip.