Please sign in to post.

car rentals in Italy

We are going to rent a car for 4 days in Lamezia. What is the " Drivers Surcharge?"

Posted by
1078 posts

check the rental rates at expedia.co.uk. for rates-they use the majors Just got 9 days from FCO for 207 pounds($333), unlimited mileage. Yes I also pay for the super collision. As an aside, never heard of "honk" or paying cash up-front. Be careful, and drive to AAA in Winston and pay the $15 for your international permit-it's takes about 10 minutes to get it all done. Hope you have Fun!

Posted by
331 posts

Typically this is a charge for an extra driver. You are probably aware that a number of credit cards that include rental insurance as a perk do not cover Italy. I would strongly recommend that for a 4 day rental that you pay for the offered extra insurance by the rental agency. I have read that Italy can be a "problem" country in regards to theft. Good luck.

Posted by
16 posts

thanks for the info: In contacting Car rentals Lamezia Terme airport, several are listed including Discounters. "Honk" is one. they offer very low rates, but in their 'terms of rental' sectionthey say there is a "surcharge which is to be paid @ the counter in local currency." they do not say why or how much. Does anyone know about this, especially how much?

Posted by
1018 posts

Brenda,

I rent a car every year at the airport in Lamezia Terme and I book through autoeurope.com. They are brokers and they find the best rates with the various vendors. Generally, they assign me to Europecar. Europecar also has a website and you could compare. Another resource would be to check with tripadvisor.com because they have vendors, pricing, and client reviews. Make sure you obtain an International Drivers Permit. The rental agencies have never asked to see it, but if you have an accident you will need one. You can obtain it at AAA

Buon viaggio,

RB

Posted by
2 posts

We're trying to figure out the best way to get from Rome to Venice in April 2011. There will be 4 or 5 of us traveling so overall it seems that driving a rental car would be the least expensive option. Are drop fees high in Italy? We won't be returning to Rome. How long would it take to make this drive, and what tolls should we expect to pay.

Posted by
13 posts

I just got a great deal on a van rental from Venice through autoeurope. It was several hundred dollars less than I had found before. Thanks for the info RB!