Please sign in to post.

car rentals

Italy car rentals seem to be much higher in cost than rentals in other western Europe countries. Although the final cost is higher, does anyone know why? Is there a requirement to be the all inclusive insurance from the car agency? We usually buy our extra insurance as part of our travel policy, not with the car rental agency. Need some information.

Posted by
166 posts

I'm only guessing here based on the many times we have rented in Italy, but it seems that insurance costs are higher. The car companies mandate that you have comprehensive insurance in Italy, and be sure to read the fine print. E.g. damage to the underside or roof of your car is often excluded from "comprehensive" coverage. Most secondary insurance I have looked at (e.g. credit card and travel insurance) has an explicit exclusion for rental cars in Italy. E.g. Amex rental car insurance no longer covers Italy. Capital One says you "might" be covered, depending on your rental contract. Renting in Italy from the UK vs the US seems to lower the cost (e.g. Auto Europe's UK site often has lower rates than the US site, though not always). I'm guessing costs are lower for claims from citizens of the EU, but it could just be that the UK market is more competitive. Mathew

Posted by
2876 posts

One caveat with autoeurope.uk: the deductibles on the included insurances can be several hundred euros higher vs autoeurope.com. As with all contracts, be sure to read the fine print.