Please sign in to post.

Car rentals

My husband and I will be in Italy for a month and only want a car for a couple of destination day trips. Is it better to rent a car once we get to our destination or reserve a car through a travel agent? Appreciate your feedback😊🚗

Posted by
11184 posts

You really do not need a 'travel agent' to rent a car in Italy. Just do it the same way you set up a rental domestically.

Be sure to know all the requirements and restrictions that apply for driving in certain areas , i.e. ZTLs etc ( you can do a search and find LOTS of discussion and advice in previous posts on this site)

Depending when/where you go and your requirements (auto vs stick shift) renting on a 'walk-up' basis may be a poor choice.

Posted by
23278 posts

Also you will need an International Driver's Permit. You need to acquire that document prior to arriving in Italy. It is not obtainable in Italy. After that you can easily rent a vehicle at any of the rental locations. That will also give you more flexibility.

Posted by
1829 posts

Some advance research is needed before just going to rent (IDP as mentioned, reading up on things like ZTL and the speed traps, etc...)

Easy to rent in advance with the Internet, don't think a travel agent would add any value for a rental car.

If you wait you run the risk of them having no cars. If you don't care about size, ok with paying more and fine with a manual waiting is probably fine ; if you have a larger car need, an automatic or want the best price possible you will book online in advance of your trip.