Please sign in to post.

Car Rentals

Hi, guys! We are looking to rent a car for part of our trip this June. Seems the cheapest we find is a stick for about $160/day. Is this really the going rate? Five of us and we wanna pick it up in Rome or Naples and drop it off in Florence...Thx for any help. Jan

Posted by
525 posts

Jan, what car rental agency are you using.
$160/day seems rather high but for 5 people are you renting a van?? Have you thought of taking the train from Rome to Florence then renting a car outside Florence?

Posted by
63 posts

We are renting an Alfa Romeo 159 wagon (listed as seating 5) for 4 days through AutoEurope. We pick it up in-town Venice and drop it off in-town Rome -- 324E total (plus tax). I don't know if you are planning to use airport locations or not, but we found that by using the in-town locations saved us ~90E in fees.

Posted by
3313 posts

Jan - $160/day seems exorbitant unless you're renting for under four days or renting a luxury car. Please respond with the general dates you want to have the car. And if you haven't checked with Autoeurope, you should.

Posted by
319 posts

I think you're going to be spending more $ for the pick up and drop off at different locations. Europecar charges around 100 a day for a Alfa station wagon for pick up and drop off in different locations.

Posted by
3313 posts

Autoeurope doesn't usually have an extra drop charge for a different location in Italy. It does if you want to drop in another country. I'm interested to hear back from Jan what itinerary she (he?) submitted to get the $160/day quote.

Michelle - even though you're in Vicenza these days, are you able to reserve through Autoeurope's web site? It used to be that they would only reserve from the United States, but I would think the Internet and e-mail has made your physical location irrelevant and you can reserve from Italy.