Please sign in to post.

Car Rental Sicily

We are renting a car in Sicily through AutoEurope, picking it up in Palermo (the day we leave there) and returning it to the Catania airport. We got the $0 deductible option, which seems to cover almost everything, except personal medical protection coverage for ourselves. Has anyone experienced any problems with needing any other insurance, besides the coverage for the car occupants, (which we will take care of through a medical plan here)? I know there will be a one-way drop off charge, but they quoted about 20 euros for that.

Posted by
11152 posts

No, never needed any other insurance for the car. When we have been sick or injured in Europe, we submitted the bills to our medical insurance when we returned home. However, these illnesses, accidents were not related to the car rentals.

Posted by
15155 posts

For medical insurance you should get travel insurance unless your health insurance covers you overseas (Medicare does not). That is regardless of car rental, but for any kind of illness or emergency.
I bet the rental company will not charge you any drop off fee. They never do, even when they tell me over the phone they will charge me the 15-20€, when I change my mind and call them to tell them I will drop the car somewhere else.

Posted by
6525 posts

No additional insurance needed. For us, medical was covered by our trip insurance and personal insurance.