Please sign in to post.

Car rental rome

Looking for recommendations for the rental of a small car in and out of Rome FYO. I have read some horror stories…but…Thanks!

Posted by
11 posts

Hello, we just rented a premium SUV through Hertz for 4 days with pick up in Rome, drop off in Venice. It was $500 for 4 days with plenty of space for our luggage. We used AutoRentals.com. I've heard Hertz and Avis are the most reputable places in Italy. Fingers crossed we won't have issues. My only concern is the limited mileage. Unsure what that is and whether we will go over.

Posted by
6989 posts

Assuming you mean FCO?

I hope you are not planning on driving IN Rome?

We always use AutoEurope.com
As do many others here on this forum
A search will bring up those reviews

They are a US based consolidator with excellent customer service and usually the best rates
They are having a big sale right now-sign up as a member to get those deals

Compare rates on
AutoEurope.eu
And
Kemwel.com

Same company

All drivers must have an IDP which you can get at your local AAA

The horror stories you hear are usually folks who didn’t do their homework

To melgreene-
We have never had limitations on mileage-

Posted by
15826 posts

Follow ChristineH’s advice.

However if you plan to stay in Rome for a few days (without a car since it is not needed while in Rome) before renting a car and getting out of town, do not limit yourself to the FCO airport pickup location, but search from all locations within the city. All major rental companies have multiple locations in the city as well at the two Rome airports (FCO and CIA). Picking up at the airport is generally more expensive than picking up in town. In that case, when you do your search on AutoEurope enter ROME ALL LOCATIONS as your pickup office, then check the cheapest.

If you plan to pick up a car upon landing at FCO and immediately drive out of town, then it might make sense to pick up at the airport since any savings from a city pick up may be negated by the extra cost to get to the city center by taxi (50€).