Please sign in to post.

Car rental question

We are flying into Venice in early September and then flying out of Venice or Milan (probably Milan) to Vienna Austria. We would like to rent a car to explore Northern Italy. Suggestions as to renting (and returning) it to Venice or Milan? Either way we plan to take the train between the two cities.

Any other suggestions regarding renting a car in Italy? PS My husband loved driving all over Portugal!

Thank you.

Posted by
4772 posts

Where to pickup/return would depend on the itinerary. Do you want to make a loop or go one-way?
You need an IDP (get at AAA for $20) and you should familiarize yourself with ZTLs and parking signage.

Posted by
2207 posts

Check the rates starting in each city. Because Venice is a HUGE dropoff point for rental cars, we used to get some INCREDIBLE rates when we picked up a rental car from there. I suppose this saved the rental car companies the money of having to transport the cars back to other cities. A few times, we received "free upgrades" when picking up in Venice --- but DO VERIFY that it's a FREE upgrade before you drive off!

Posted by
15838 posts

If you fly into Venice, and plan to stay in Venice a few days before heading out to explore northern Italy, it makes sense to pick up the car at Piazzale Roma in Venice, at the end of your Venice stay (obviously you don't need a car while you are in Venice)

Posted by
11500 posts

We always book AutoEurope.com. The car will be from any of a number of rental car companies, backed up by AutoEurope which is based in Maine.

Posted by
32320 posts

"Any other suggestions regarding renting a car in Italy?"

As mentioned in a previous reply, it would be a really good idea for each driver to obtain an International Driver's Permit, which is used in conjunction with your home D.L. Many rental firms are asking for an IDP these days, and it's compulsory for driving in Italy. These are easily obtained at any AAA/CAA office for a small fee.

Also as mentioned, you'll have to be extremely vigilant to avoid the ZTL (limited traffic) zones which exist in many towns and cities in Italy. Each pass through them will result in hefty fines, which you may not know about until several months after you return home. It's NOT a good idea to drive in Florence, as the city is well covered with automated ZTL cameras.

In most cases, I find that the high speed trains are the easiest way to get around Italy, as that's a more efficient use of my limited travel time. I tend to use cars to reach places that aren't well served by regular public transit.