Please sign in to post.

car rental in Tuscany

Can anyone offer their opinion on what my husband and I have planned for part of our trip in Italy. We planned on spending a couple of days in Cortona then taking the train from Cortona to Perugia where we'll pick up a car and drive to Montepulciano from there we'll be able to drive the rest of our time in Tuscany. I am having a hard time finding out where the train station is in Perugia (but I know there is one!). Has anyone done anything similar or can suggest a better alternative? Thanks!

Posted by
10344 posts

Enter Perugia into the search box at Viamichelin.com and the resulting map should show you the Perugia train station. Your plan will work. I think I understand why you're going east to Perugia (because it's easier to get to Perugia by train?) and then reversing direction to go west to get to Montepulciano.

Posted by
831 posts

Sarah,
Driving in Perugia is not fun. A faster and easier solution is to take the train to Chiusi and rent the car. At Chiusi station the Hertz is across the street, Europcar a block and a half, and Avis a five minute cab ride.

Posted by
40 posts

Sarah-
We just stayed 4 nights in Cortona and drove all over Tuscany (including Perugia, Assisi, and Montepulciano.) We arrived at the train station in Cortona-Terontola and rented a car at Il Girasole. They are about 50 meters straight out the door of the train station and were very helpful during the reservation process. We got the smallest car they had (despite our driving all around we didn't even use a full tank of gas) and a GPS system. The price gets cheaper for each extra day you have the car and the GPS was only 6,50 euro per day. This was our first time driving in Italy and could not imagine doing it without the GPS system. It totally rocked.
Good Luck!

Posted by
9 posts

The car rental place across from the train station at Piazza Dante 22 in Chiusi is no longer Hertz. (Imagine our surprise when we arrived there 3 weeks ago with our Hertz reservation!) It is now aesse rent. They were very nice and we got the same car, same rate that we had arranged with Hertz. website is [email protected]. It is, no kidding, dead straight across from the train station. Chiusi was very easy to get in and out of and right on the road to Montepulciano.

Posted by
19 posts

I still "have" a reservation with Hertz for the Chiusi location!! I made the reservation about one month ago for our trip in September. I tried the website listed above, but with no luck. Am I missing any information? I would really like to rent at that location if possible. Thanks so much for the heads up!!

Posted by
9 posts

Telephone number for aesse rent is 0578 227993. Cell is 3465 040412. Fax is 0578 224191. They speak excellent English. You will need to dial the international access code and Italy code first (dial 011-39 then the numbers above).

Posted by
207 posts

We dropped off in Perugia... follow the Centro signs to the train station and Europcar is 100 meters away... couldn't have been easier...George, Pittsburgh

Posted by
1 posts

We are staying in Cortona, but are coming from Rome. Does it make more sense to rent a car in Rome and drive up or should we take the train to the Cortona-Terontola station and rent? Bear in mind, we are going to Florence after this, so we'd prefer to rent from a major company that will let us drop our car off in Florence. Thoughts?