Please sign in to post.

Car rental in Tuscany

We will be touring in Tuscany area for a week the first part of May and plan to get a rental car once we arrive by train in Florence. Any suggestions on rental car companies and their convenience in getting out of the Florence area. We have read some of the stories about getting proper insurance, using GPS, etc. and would appreciate any comments related to the use of rental cars. Thank you. Kent

Posted by
11362 posts

We had a fantastic experience with http://gemut.com/ as a rental broker. Although the website indicates a specialty in Germany, Austria and Switzerland, they do arrange rentals all over Europe. They by far beat the prices quoted by AutoEurope and Hertz, and I was able to talk to Andy Bestor (family run business) and get personal advice. They offer 24x7 support in English, too. On thier website, on the left at the top, download the guide to renting a car in Europe. Answered a lot of my questions.

Posted by
3112 posts

I've rented through AutoEurope with good experience. They work with several rental car companies to get their customers the best price. My rental wound up being with Avis. I picked up at Rome airport and dropped off at Florence airport with no drop-off charge. There have been prior discussions of Florence rental car pick-up on the Italy page. You can search, but most people seem to agree that picking up at the airport is the best way to avoid the dredded ZTLs (restricted traffic zones that carry a stiff fine). It's easy to get from the Florence train station to the airport, either by direct bus (5 euro per person) or cab (about 20 euro). If you prefer to rent in town, there's a Hertz location about a 5 minute walk from the train station that's outside the ZTL. I would highly recommend a GPS for driving in Tuscany. I'm very good with maps and directions, but would have gotten lost more than once without my GPS. I have my own but you can also rent one. AutoEurope occasionally offer promotional deals that include free use of a GPS. I get the insurance for peace of mind. Also, you're required to have an International Driver Permit to drive in Italy. They're inexpensive and available through AAA (don't have to be a member).