Please sign in to post.

Car rental in Tuscany?

Could anyone suggest a good place to rent a car outside of Florence? Is car rental offered in places like Sienna,Cortona, We would be coming from Rome by train ? We are very flexible, Would like to arrive by train and rent a car for 5 days to a week? I would welcome any advice.

Posted by
1201 posts

There are car rental places in Siena. Depending in your plans, which might be helpful for you to give us a clue, the are several spots reachable by train that have rental cars.

If your plans include southern tuscany, many folks opt to train to Orvieto (in Umbria), do a bit of exploring there and rent when they leave.

Chiusi, in Tuscany is another spot for train and the car rental.

IF you need to be in northern Tuscany, the Pisa airport has a train station, Lucca, La Spezia and at the Florence airport are popular sppots. The Florence aiport does not have a train station however.

Posted by
12 posts

Ok, Thanks for your help. Yes our plans are vague at this point but it seems that Siena makes the most sense for us because of the proximity to Volterra, SG, Montalcino. We keep the itinerary very loose and spontaneous. We spent an overnight in orvieto last year and loved it! Guide books suggest the car option hence my question. Thanks !

Posted by
274 posts

We are in Tuscany right now and went through www.gemut.com. They were excellent - attentive and super helpful, AND we got the best deal from them.

Posted by
12 posts

Obviously the WIFI is available there, Good news! Thanks for the tip on Gemut car rentals. I checked it out and it works for me.