Please sign in to post.

Car rental in Siena

Need a little help planning. I am exploring the option of train or bus to Siena from Florence. Renting a car to visit Volterra,
San Gimignano, and Assisi returning car to Siena and train or bus back to Florence. I have read bus is easier. But, where are the car rental locations? I like to keep things simple and prefer rental either in train or bus terminal. Am I better renting a car in Florence or Siena where I can easily pick up and return? My original thinking was to avoid Florence traffic. We did this outside Paris and it was very easy.

Posted by
107 posts

We did exactly this and it worked great. The car rental that we used (Europcar I think) was located south of town. We walked from city center, but the road is not great for walking. We taxied back after drop off, and it was inexpensive.

Posted by
200 posts

The bus from Florence is the best option as you get dropped off within easy walking distance from the heart of town. You can go to AutoEurope's web site for car rental options. There you can get a map view of the rental agencies so you have an idea of what's involved in getting to the various agencies. We've gone with zero deductible insurance both times we have rented and AutoEurope's pricing for this seems to be the best deal.

Edit
I may have misread your post. If your only reason for going to Siena is to rent a car, then getting a car in Florence would make better sense as you'd spend at least 2 hours just on bus rides.

Posted by
2822 posts

There's a Hertz office located about two blocks from the train station which I think is one of the Auto Europe options.
There's an Avis office, along with a few others, further down the street and which would require a short taxi ride.
Can locate them for yourself by doing a Google map search for "rental cars Siena".
I agree that for the explorations you propose it's probably easier to collect the car in Siena. Double check the operating hours of the rental outlets - many of them close for a few hours at midday, are only open a half day on Saturday, and are closed on Sunday.

Posted by
871 posts

We arrange our cars by calling up the broker Autoeurope; get zero- deductible collision, which covers any damage to the body of the vehicle. They will recommend the best agency based on your particular situation; possibly where the car is being returned. Read this about driving in Italy and restrictions involved [ZTLs]; avoid leaving anything of value in a car when parked:

http://driventoit.blogspot.com/

Posted by
15161 posts

You should rent it in Florence.
The Hertz offices of Via Ambrosoli or the one on Via Del Sansovino are very easy to get out of town. The first one in particular is basically at the start of the expressway that takes you to the Chianti Road to Siena.