Please sign in to post.

Car rental in Rome?

I'm flying into Rome and spending one night there before beginning my trip to Puglia - which we would like to drive. I (really) don't want to have to deal with a car in Rome, so I'm curious if anyone has had experience renting a car at a spot in Rome/just outside Rome that is easy to get to - and easy to get out of (hopping on the highway quickly). I've rented a car in FCO to head to Tuscany and it was surprisingly easy to get on the highway & get going. I'm just not sure about renting at FCO again & then attempting to find somewhere to stay in Rome that first night where we can have our car/find parking.

So, if you have suggestions of either a): somewhere to rent the car just outside of the city that's easy to get on our way for our Puglia trip or b): where to stay in Rome with a car overnight if we do rent from FCO - I would be so grateful! :). Thanks!

Posted by
6453 posts

Or c): Stay somewhere in central Rome, take the train back to the airport and rent the car there?

Posted by
3603 posts

We once rented in town, and the superhighway entrance (I believe it was the GRA) was very nearby. The rental agent gave us clear directions, so no hassle. I don’t remember which company, but we went through AutoEurope.
The reason not to rent at the airport is that usually results in a higher rate, sometimes substantially so.

Posted by
15238 posts

If you don’t plan to visit Rome at all upon arrival, but rather just spend the night and go to Puglia the next morning, I would stay at the Airport Hilton and pick up the car at the airport next morning. That is what I usually do when my flight gets to FCO too late and I don’t feel like driving to Tuscany after a long flight from California. Over the years I discovered that in those circumstances that is the most convenient and cheaper way to go. The Hilton generally costs under €250 a night (tax incl.). Once you consider the cost of the taxi to the hotel in the city center (50€) and the cost of the taxi from the hotel to the car rental office of your choice (maybe another 15€ minimum) you will save time and money, especially if you end up coming back to the airport for pick up (another 50€). A hotel in the city center will likely cost you at least $150. The Airport Hilton can be reached from the terminal on foot via the aerial walkway and the rental car center is in between the hotel and the terminal using the same walkway.
If you plan to visit the city on your first day then you might consider a hotel downtown, although the Hilton has a shuttle service to the city center and you can also take the train from the airport to the city center, therefore you could visit the city from the airport Hilton if you want. I would do so if you plan only one night upon arrival. If you decide to stay downtown regardless then the car rental offices near the Tiburtina train station are the easiest to hop on the A24 freeway going east and then connecting to the A1 going south. Picking up at the airport carries higher rental fees but no more than 40€ for a 2-3 week rental period.

Posted by
2048 posts

We rented from Hertz very close to the Rome Tiburtina station. It had close access t a highway out of Rome,