Please sign in to post.

Car rental in Rome

Hello All. Planning on spending the first 2 days of our 10 day Italian trip in Rome then head South to the Amalfi Coast. Two couples will be traveling together with luggage so what would be the largest car we could get and still be ok in Amalfi with the narrow roads??

Also is it best to get a car at the train station instead of going back to FCO?? Or..... should we take the train to Naples and get a car there and return it to FCO??

We leave to head back home on a Sunday morning...just wondering about road traffic to the Airport on Sundays??

Wow... lots of questions... will be happy with any suggestions. Thanks in advance!!

Posted by
1829 posts

Where are you going that you think a car would be beneficial for?

I am not anti-car rental when vacationing in Italy but far too often people plan on getting a car when public transit is far better suited for them and their destinations.
You may or may not have a reason for needing a car.

Posted by
11731 posts

Tour buses and 18 wheelers travel the Amalfi coast road. Any size car you get will 'fit'.

Like anywhere, parking a bigger car is more of an issue than parking a smaller one.

Take train to Naples and get car there

"We leave to head back home on a Sunday morning...just wondering about road traffic to the Airport on Sundays??"

From 'where' and to what airport? And what time is the flight, and where does the flight go?

Posted by
4 posts

Sorry... leaving Sunday From FCO at 8am.

And From Rome we travel South to Pompeii, then 3 night in Prainano, then we head East to Alberobello for a day or two then up to Vasto...and back to Rome, so a car will be needed at some point. Just not sure the optimal day and location to pick it up.

Again much thanks!!

Posted by
11731 posts

If I were doing your trip, I would likely train take train from Rome to Naples and get car there. For the 3 nights in Prainano it probably will be of little use, but going back to Sorrento to get a car to head east is a lot of wasted time. Probably not save any money either.

The alternate is to pick up car in Salerno, but you would have to factor in costs of getting to Prainano, from Naples, and from Prainao to Salerno, to see if you can save any $$ by having the rental car for fewer days.

I would spend the night before my flight near FCO, especially with an 8AM departure. I would drop car off Saturday night, so not have to deal with it on departure day.

Posted by
4105 posts

First, have you driven in Italy before? Second, are you familiar with ZTLs? Third do you know about speed cameras and the need for an IDP.

If you answered yes to all the above, then rent the car at Roma Termini. There is easy access to the A-24 from there.
And the trip to Pompeii scavi is about 3 hrs.
A-24>E80>A45>A3.

From Pompeii to Praiano if you
go overland ( don't take the coast road), is a beautiful drive down thru the hills to Conca di Marini. 28 miles. Then a few miles to Praiano. This will be faster than the coast road too.

Check with your lodging before you rent the car to see if they have parking available.
Otherwise, plan to head to Sorrento the day before you leave to pick up a car there.

Drop the car at FCO. Do not try to drive into Rome.

Posted by
490 posts

FYI most rental cars in Italy do not have a trunk..they have hatch backs..which are a theives paradise...try to limit the car time...

no car needed in Rome, take fast train 1.5 hours to Naples ( 3 + hr drive) no car needed to get to Pompeii which has great public transport for the tons of tourists who go...no need for a car in Sorrento...ferries make the coastal towns and nearby islands accessible in calm seas during high season..

The advice to pick the car up at Sorrento departure and return before you go to Rome itself makes sense...and yes stay near the airport or be willing to wake up at 4 a.m. to taxi there...

Enjoy! Bring water shoes if you are planning to go into the water....with the heat, I strongly advise it! LOL