Please sign in to post.

Car Rental in Italy

We're at the Fiumicino (ROme) airport, need to rent a car to get up to Sienna. Want to also drive to Venice & drop car. Whats the best company for the best rate?

Posted by
11322 posts

I had a great experience with Gemut.com. When you go to their website, you'll think it's all about Germany, Austria and Switzerland, but they manage car rentals throughout Europe. What I liked especially is that there is a number in the US to call if you have a problem (we did not have a problem, but the availability of an English speaker in the US 24x7 was a comforting thought). They also have a great guide to insurance issues: http://www.gemut.com/europe-travel-tips-features-379/3687-newsflash-master-template.html . I compared prices with Auto Europe and Hertz, but Gemut beat their quotes, and I got incredible service to boot! Andy Bestor will take good care of you on yor rental.

Posted by
1633 posts

Are you in Rome now? If so, Gemut, AutoEurope or Kemwell will not be able to help you. Those rental brokers are for rentals before you leave the States. If you are in Rome now, you'll just have to shop around. Some of the companies are Europcar, Sixt, Hertz & Avis. For convenience and the least amount of hassle in driving, I would return the car at the Venice airport. Also, get a GPS and a good Michelin map (at a gas station). Hsve fun and be careful.