Please sign in to post.

Car Rental in Italy

Hi, we're planning to rent a car at the Florence Airport for our trip in October. We're currently considering booking and paying in advance through Gemut. We're not sure if the price is comparable to renting directly through a Rental company or using Eurocar or other. Any thoughts or experience on this? Thanks so much!

Posted by
15438 posts

I use a consolidator like Gemut:
www.AutoEurope.com
(or their other websites: www.AutoEurope.eu and www.Kemwel.com).
Then I choose the best deal they have for the dates I need.
The last couple of times, including now, I chose their Hertz deal, but in previous years I’ve selected also Europcar or Avis from the same above websites. I always select the “no deductible” coverage (about $5 a day more for peace of mind). That option is called “refundable excess” in the .eu website.

I’ve also rented directly from Avis in the past. It seemed cheaper at time, but once I added the no deductible insurance at the desk I would have saved with AutoEurope.

Gemut and AutoEurope are both good. So check what is best for your dates.
Both require advance payment but it’s changeable and refundable up to 48 hours prior.

Posted by
5986 posts

I have always used Autoeurope, until my last trip in which I worked thru Gemut. I didn't have a great experience with Gemut, and they booked thru Autoeurope, anyway. Autoeurope is a consolidator, but I have found that the prices of the big companies are lower thru Autoeurope than booking directly thru the company. You can check prices thru the Autoeurope website or they have a U.S. number so you can work directly with a live person.

Usually, when I've booked thru Autoeurope, the car rental company with the best rates is Europcar. However, once I got Hertz (I think it was the only company in the town I wanted to rent from, and another time we ended up with Avis.

Autoeurope is a huge company and they have 24 hour customer service in Europe In general, I do not like to book thru 3rd parties or consolidators, but I appreciate the presence they have in Europe, and I feel that if I have a problem they would advocate. For my last trip when I did have an issue with my rental, it was Autoeurope that resolved it to my satisfaction.

For your peace of mind, you could check prices thru the Europcar, Sixt, Hertz, websites and compare to the Autoeurope quote, I typically do.

Posted by
17 posts

I've used Europcar both times in Italy with great result for both a small car and for a minivan. Might be more expensive but good selection of vehicles in most locations. Once in Firenze and once picking up in La Spezia to Rome Airport dropoff.

Posted by
872 posts

The FLR rental complex is a short distance from the Terminal at Via Palagio degli Spini, best reached by taxi. You will need to be cognizant with respect to limited traffic zones, and have an IDP. Your rental should come with zero-deductible collision. Driving routes on viamichelin.com.

Posted by
15438 posts

The rental center on via Palagio degli Spini can also be reached by a free shuttle from the airport terminal. If you are arriving by plane that is the way to go. If you come from the city center, you can get to the terminal by light rail tramway (T2). But if you come from the city center and have substantial luggage, then a taxi is probably better. Just specify you need to go to via Palagio degli Spini Rent a Car center.