Please sign in to post.

car rental in italy

I am planning to rent a car for a ten day driving tour of Italy. We will have four passengers. Am looking for advice from anyone else who has done the same: What kind of car did you use and what company did you go with??
My main concern is whether the car will have room for four suitcases. Using a van would guarantee this, but I'd really prefer to drive a wagon. The car that keeps coming up in searches of various companies is a VW Touran. The only problem is that one site advertises that it can fit 3 suitcases, another company says the same model fits 5 suitcases. Would really love to hear from anyone who may have rented this type of car to confirm that it will have room for 4 bags--or from anyone who has rented any kind of car that would fit four bags!
My other concern is which company to use. I've always used American companies when renting a car in Europe, but this time a European company, Locauto, seems to have the main car I'm considering for half the price. Anyone have experience with Locauto??
Thanks in advance,
Emily

Posted by
15134 posts

Go to Autoeurope.com, a consolidator, you'll probably get a better price. You need a midsize car. Last year I had a VW Passat station wagon and was enough to hold four large suitcases plus small backpacks (had four women with me and they all packed more shoes that I have ever owned in my life time). Even if a website says you are getting a Touran there is no guarantee you will get that model. I rarely get the model I book, even in the US. It could be any model of that size. If you get a Touran, since my cousin in Italy has a brand new one, I can tell you that it is a good car with above average trunk space. However I recommend that you all learn to pack light and don't go over a midsize suitcase at most. Many ancient Italian buildings have no elevators and your husband will curse you out if he has to carry a huge suitcase up several flights of stairs. Women have to realize that your husbands are not Sherpa.

Posted by
7737 posts

Roberto, you crack me up. You combine humor with spot-on advice. Nicely done, sir. Or should I say "Benfatto, signore!"?

Posted by
3592 posts

Second the use of AutoEurope. The European companies with American names, in general, have no connection to their namesakes here. If you are thinking that using one of them will be of help should problems occur, forget it. AE will get you the best price; and since they have offices here, you can call them to discuss your needs. Should probems arise while you're abroad, they'll also try to help you. Re luggage: I have found the icons that show large and small cases confusing. Sometimes a site will show one large and one small. We have never had a problem fitting our two 22" and two totes into a trunk thus labeled. I'm not a devotee of packing light, and I have no problem fitting what I need into that luggage.

Posted by
34 posts

When we rented we only needed room for my wife and I, and a camera bag or two. But what I was primarily concerned about was not have a huge deductible to pay for damage. So make sure you think about asking for the supplemental super cover to get your deductible to zero. Hertz, Sixt offer it I know for sure. Here's more info from elsewhere on Rick Steves website-

When purchasing CDW, the reduced deductibles can still be substantial, with most hovering at about $1,000–1,500 (or more, depending on the car type). Most rental companies also offer a second tier of coverage, called “super CDW” or “zero-deductible coverage” to buy down the deductible to zero or near zero (if you didn't opt for this when booking from home, expect to hear a sales pitch from the counter agent). This is pricey — figure about an additional $10–30 per day — but, for some travelers, it’s worth the peace of mind.

Posted by
34 posts

Oh, and sure enough, when I returned a car to Hertz in Orvieto, someone had put a nice dent on the passenger side. But since I had super cover, the Hertz lady said "no worries, you're covered". And that...was that.