Please sign in to post.

car rental in Italy

I will be travelling with my husband in Italy this <May> We will drive within Italy . From Trieste we would like to drive down to Croata and also Slovenia. Is there a car company in Milano that will allow us to do this with the car. We plan to make a loop , dropping it off at Milan at the completion of the trip. Thank in advance for any information

Posted by
10230 posts

I use Autoeurope for my rentals. They are a consolidator so you don't know what company it is until you make your ion. If you do that, after the rental is confirmed I would contact the company (Avis, Hertz, etc.) to find out what their policy is for driving in those areas. My guess is that most companies will not allow you to drive their vehicle into Eastern Europe. If you don't get an answer you like you can easily change your reservation or cancel it altogether.

Posted by
32212 posts

ellen, I doubt that car rental firms in Italy will allow cars to be driven in eastern Europe (including Croatia and Slovenia). You could perhaps rent a car in Italy, take the train to Croatia and rent another car there. However, you'll want to drop that in Croatia so that you're not faced with huge fees for dropping off in a different country. One point to make about driving in Italy is that each driver will require the compulsory International Driver's Permit, which must be used in conjunction with your home D.L. An IDP is valid for one year, and can be easily obtained at any AAA office. For driving in Italy, I'd also recommend a GPS unit along with a good Map. Be especially careful regarding "ZTL areas" which are increasingly prevalent in many cities (Florence is especially well covered with these). Happy travels!