Please sign in to post.

Car rental in Florence

What is the latest on the car rental center near the airport being put back on the airport property?
It has been a long building project.

Posted by
15158 posts

The airport terminal rebuilding project was halted years ago after they decided to change the project as part of the new runway construction project.
The revised expansion project, with the new longer runway and the brand new relocated terminal, received the Environmental Impact Approval by the Italian Ministry of the Environment last April (after 4 years waiting and arguing) but the NIMBYs and some environmental groups are fighting the airport expansion in court and last week the Regional Administrative Court sided with the NIMBYs and have declared the environmental impact approval invalid. The airport authority is in the process of appealing the decision to the higher court (the Council of State) but in the meantime I don’t expect any changes will occur to the current airport layout until that appeal has taken place. So if you are renting the car at the airport in the next few years, the temporary car rental center will be where it is now, in the middle of the same abandoned corn field.
There is a shuttle bus between the terminal and the rental center which operates whenever the bus driver is taking a break from chit chatting with the girls at the rental counter.

Posted by
1528 posts

I am afraid that the rental area was moved to make place to tramway works. Works are now over, but the tramway line is there to stay, so I do not expect the rental area to be moved back near the airport.

Posted by
871 posts

The complex is at Via Palagio degli Spini, best reached by taxi. The shuttle from the terminal departs from the left side of the little building in the car park. Best to stand by the doors, because entering the big building everyone takes a number.

The big car rental question is when, if ever, the work on the Ponte Amerigo Vespucci will be completed; then easy access in and out of Borgo Ognissanti.

Posted by
131 posts

Thank you for the detailed response.