Please sign in to post.

Car Rental in Florence

We are a group of 6 people needing a car for 6 days in May. Our plan is to pick it up at the Florence Airport to drive to our Figline Valdarno Villa and return to airport to drop it off. We will be in Florence a few days prior to picking up the car and after returning it, we are heading by train to Cinque Terre. We thought that avoiding pickup downtown would be easier and we would have a better chance of getting an automatic. The automatic may not be an issue (not sure yet).
I have 2 questions:
1. Does the airport pick up make sense and if so, would we train or taxi to the airport to pick up the car.
2. Does the airport return make sense and if so, would we train or taxi to the train station to continue our trip in CT?
If you see any flaws in our thinking or know a better way, please advise. Thank you!

Posted by
8102 posts

by picking up at the airport you avoid getting the very expensive tickets that many people get trying to negotiate in and out of Florence ZTLs. So yes. Good idea. Last time we did this, there was a fixed price of 20 Euro for a taxi -- probably more now, but you will need two unless you find a van cab at the train station.

Posted by
15278 posts

There is no train from the airport, a taxi would be the way to go.

Since you are in Florence, presumably in the city center, prior to renting a car, I would pick up in the city center (Borgo Ognissanti is the street where all rental offices are). There is no risk to get a ZTL ticket while getting out of the city center. Just drive west on Borgo Ognissanti (it's a one way street). .

Since you plan to go to the 5 Terre upon return, then why not return the car in La Spezia?

I usually rent from a consolidator:
www.autoeurope.com
www.kemwel.com
Both are part of the same corporate group, but check prices of both. They work with major companies like Europcar, Hertz, Avis, etc.

Six people are better off with two economy cars. A van costs as much as 3 cars to rent and it would be cumbersome to maneuver in the narrow ancient Italian streets.