Please sign in to post.

Car rental for March 2020 trip

We are traveling to Italy in March. After a few days in Rome, we will depart for a few nights stay at an agriturismo near Pienza. We are planning to rent a car as we leave Rome and in Assisi for part of the day to break up our "travel day" (Assisi is of personal interest to us so we are taking time to visit for half a day). We want to have a car while in Tuscany to enjoy some scenic drives and visit some of the small towns. We drove all over Ireland on small, curvy roads, so we are not concerned about driving in Tuscany. We will return the car in Florence.

We are staying in the Trastevere neighborhood while in Rome, so I was planning to return to the airport to pick up a car as I assume this would make for the easiest route out of Rome? We are departing Rome on a Sunday morning. I had thought we could take the train to Assisi and rent a car near there, but I have been told a lot of the smaller rental car operations are not open on Sundays.

I appreciate any advice on car rental, parking in ( assume outside of) Assisi and the best spot to return a car in Florence and avoid the ZTLs.

Thank you!

Posted by
393 posts

I have not rented a car in Italy, so I'm just addressing this with general thoughts:
** why spend the extra $ to go all the way to the airport? (transportation cost and time cost)
** Aren't there more fees for cars rented a airports? (transportation cost
AutoEurope.com was down, just now, so I went to Europcar.com and confirmed that rental differential.
I did a search on an airport and then on a train station (Rome Tiburtina Stazione Fs)
The train station is next to a freeway - that sure seems like a simple deal - not like blocks and blocks of tight traffic.

Posted by
872 posts

Yes, a complete waste of time to go all the way to FCO. Pick up a car at Termini.

We arrange our cars by calling up the broker Autoeurope [having a toll free number to call]; get zero- deductible collision, which covers any damage to the body of the vehicle. Read this about driving in Italy and restrictions involved [ZTLs]; never leave anything of value in a vehicle when parked:

http://driventoit.blogspot.com/

You can return a Hertz or Avis car at the Garage Europa on Borgo Ognissanti in downtown Florence. You proceed north to the Ponte Amerigo Vespucci, cross it and turn left in a couple of blocks. As long as you proceed no further east than the approach the bridge you will not enter the ZTL; just keep out of restricted bus lanes. ZTL worries cause some to go to Via Palagio degli Spini, the complex near the airport; then a bus to town.

Tuscany, a very scenic area [towns/villages you park outside and walk in]:

https://www.wanderingitaly.com/maps/valdorcia.html

Posted by
3256 posts

Agree about renting through AutoEurope with $0 deductible. I’ve picked up cars near both Termini and Tiburtina. Leaving Rome from Tiburtina is the easiest way to leave the city with only a slight amount of driving on local streets. Picking up at FCO is a waste of time and money.

Posted by
61 posts

Thank you for the tips! It appears Tiburtina must be closed on Sunday, but I will go with the Termini location.

Posted by
393 posts

Ah, yes, Italian rental agencies have 'odd' hours (compared to USA).
The options I've looked at close at 1 PM on Saturdays and are closed Sundays.