Please sign in to post.

Car Rental Florence

We will be in Florence for a few days in October. Our plan is to rent a car at the end of our stay and spend a week making day trips around Tuscany. We will be staying at an agriturismo near Pienza. At the end of the week we move on to Sorrento. My question is should we rent a car near the Florence train station and then return it there to travel by train to Sorrento or is there a better option that I'm not thinking of? I appreciate any suggestions you have.

Posted by
119 posts

Train station or Airport to get the rental (Avoid Avis at the airport, had a HORRIBLE experience with them at that location) There is now a direct train to the Airport from the train station.
What is your departure airport from Italy. You may want a car in Sorrento or ?????. You then can drop your car off at the airport on your way out of Italy.

I have had very good success with Sixt in Europe.

Posted by
40 posts

Thanks for your advice, John. Florence is in the middle of our month long trip. We are flying in to Venice and out of Rome. We decided we would use train travel except for the week in Tuscany.

Posted by
988 posts

Jazz,

We did something similar in the Summer of 2018, rented a car for our week in Tuscany and then dropped our car at Siena our last stop before we took the train to Rome. We rented at the airport and it was easy to get on the Freeway. We rented from Auto Europe (which is our go-to-company when we rent in Europe).

Sandy