Please sign in to post.

Car Rental

We are flying into Rome, heading to Tuscany and then returning to Rome for the last couple days. We want to have a car in Tuscany, but not the last couple days in Rome. I see a couple options:
1. Rent car, return it to the airport and then take train back into city (but this seems time consuming)
2.Rent car, drive to Tuscany and return it there and take the train back to Rome;
3. Take the train all the way to Tuscany and back.

I would appreciate any thoughts or prior experiences with any of the above scenarios. Thanks.

Posted by
831 posts

Brian,
Assuming you are flying from the US to Rome I would not plan a long driving day unless you know how jetlag affects you.

Lane had a good idea. Train to Orvieto, spend the night, then rent a car in the morning.

Depending on where you plan to go, Tuscany is a large area, there a many places to rent and drop off cars.

I use Autoeurope so I can rent in one town and drop off in another. Orvieto and Chiusi are good places to drop cars and train to Rome.

Posted by
850 posts

You could take the train from Rome to Orvieto. Rent a car and tour Tuscany and after you see all that you plan on in Tuscany drive back to Orvieto. Turn the car in and train it back to Rome.

Posted by
39 posts

Hi Brian--
A car makes touring easier, gets you to more places, and saves a lot of time over public transportation in Tuscany.

If by "taking the train to Tuscany and back" you mean renting a car in eg Siena and returning it there, that could work.

Altho you think it seems time consuming to drop the car off at the Rome airport (assuming you rented it there), for two of your possibilities you'll need to get from the airport to Rome--either on the way to the Tuscan train or after dropping off the car--so that's a wash.

We rented a car in Rome, near Termini, drove to Tuscany/Umbria area for a week, and dropped it off at La Spezia near Cinque Terre and used trains for the rest of the trip to Venice and Milan. Rome would be easy from Siena or Florence.

My prejudice then is your second option, which worked for us quite nicely. I can't say how driving is from the airport to Tuscany, but I do know it HAS to be easier than from Termini Station!

However, as has been mentioned previously on this site, pay careful attention to the hours at the drop-off site, and if they close midday allow an additional half hour or so after the afternoon reopening time in case they're late coming back.

Our rental return office opened about 10 minutes late, which would have been critical if we had had a tight schedule (lots of trains run from La Spezia to Cinque Terre, so we had several choices).

Have a fun trip!

Posted by
1358 posts

Your options seem practical. However, when you rent your car be sure to ask if there is a drop charge.

I found a car to be very convenient while traveling in Tuscany; but the fast highways have costly tolls. I would not drive from Rome to Tuscany for that reason.

Be aware that parking is far more costly than it once was and petrol has gone up too. Do some research; a diesel model may be cheaper.

Don't even consider driving in Rome! Subway and trams are cheap, fast and efficient, but not necessarily on time.

Posted by
527 posts

I agree with Henry. After landing in Rome I'd train to Orvieto. After touring Tuscany Orvieto turned out to be our surprising favorite. You'll be able to relax one night and save money as the hotels (I like Magnolia Inn see RS 65 euros) are a great value. Then off to Tuscany and return to Chiusi. Unless you're going to Florence also then I'd return the car in Florence and train back to Rome. I picked up my car (Autoeurope) at the Del Gelsimino location in Florence to avoid the risks of tickets in Florence central.

Posted by
40 posts

Brian-
We did this last year. We took the train from Rome to Cortona-Terontola in Tuscany (FYI the smaller hill-town of Cortona was a great base)and rented from a small company called Il Girasole. We were v. happy with the service and the price. We rented the smallest car they had and got GPS (a must and only 9.90 US a day.) Oh, and the rental company is only two blocks from the tiny train station- very easy to walk to with your bags.
Good luck!

Susan

Posted by
23 posts

We talked it over and are going to go with the general consensus of avoiding the car in Rome altogether. We are planning to take the train to Florence and then work back south, drop the car and train back into Rome. All the suggestions are much appreciated and brought a couple points that had not been considered. THANKS!

Posted by
32213 posts

Brian,

One other point to mention is that you'll require an International Driver's Permit to drive in Italy. While I'm sure there have been many that have driven in Italy without one and never experienced any problems, these are mandatory in Italy and you can be fined on the spot for not having one. Note that this is NOT a Driver's License - it must be used in conjunction with your regular D.L.

Also, be sure to check other posts here with regard to the dreaded Zona Traffico Limitato zones, so that you don't receive a nasty "surprise" in the mail a month or two after you get home.

Happy travels!

Posted by
1288 posts

Also, be aware that there are speeding cameras everywhere-not just on the autostrada. There is usually a sign that warns you one is coming, but don't depend on seeing it. Just go the speed limit!! The guide on a bike trip we took told me her father had visited her from California and 3 months later had already received 5 tickets for speeding. (and they have 2 years to send them so more could be coming) We just were very careful to go the speed limit. We are not out of our 2 year zone yet, but so far so good.