Please sign in to post.

Car Rental

Hello,

We are looking to pick up rental cars when we leave Venice and drop off at the Florence airport, so we will have the cars for about 7 days. We have 7 adults and 2 kids requiring car seats.

1) What rental company do you prefer? I know options are limited with a one way rental, but we are hoping to get a larger car plus a smaller one, as we will have a lot of luggage.

2) We will also need car seats for the two children.

Any tips are greatly appreciated!

Posted by
3100 posts

Just make sure that you 1) know what a ZTL is 2) know that Florence has VERY low speed limits

Italy has more posting about speed, ZTL, etc car rental fines than any other RS forum.

Posted by
931 posts

Use the auto broker Auto Europe to search for your car. They are an awesome consolidator that sticks behind their quotes.

Know what a ZTL is and how to ID a ZTL zone. If you hotel says you can drive thru one to get to your hotel...
Take that statement with a grain of salt..

Posted by
795 posts

and just to help out.....ZTL=Zona Traffico Limitato

Places where you can't drive your car unless you have permission (like from a hotel who usually requires your license plate number, but that is anyone's guess if it's valid and such or are a resident of that neighborhood)

Posted by
15832 posts

Rental car companies will provide the seats for kids, however make sure that when you call AutoEurope you specify that (if you go through AutoEurope). I don't know how much rental companies charge per day to rent a seat. I heard the charge is about 30 euro/day for a full baby seat or under 10 euro/day for a booster, but I have no direct experience.

Posted by
2533 posts

You should also get an international driver’s permit (obtainable from AAA) for anyone who will be driving. The rental car company may or may not want to see it. My nephew said the rental car agency in Italy asked to see his permit and he was glad he had obtained one prior to travel.