Please sign in to post.

Car Rental

What is the best/most reliable car rental company to go with? We will be renting from Milan Linate airport. Thanks

Posted by
5239 posts

That depends on what your definition of best is. For reliability and selection of new, clean and relatively undamaged cars then the like of Hertz, Avis, Sixt, Enterprise are top of the chain however they are also the most expensive. They also offer the simple full to full fuel policy and don't aggressively pursue you to take out additional insurance. Cheaper companies may offer more attractive prices but there's a reason for that.

The oft quoted saying, "you get what you pay for" is very true in respect of car rentals.

Posted by
3150 posts

Check with AutoEurope.com for best prices. They are a highly rated consolidator that has vehicles from the leading auto rental companies at lower prices than offered on company websites.

Posted by
8094 posts

I'm a member of Hertz' frequent renter club, and it's free to join. I compare their Gold Club discounted rates to AutoEurope.com and choose the cheaper. And I try to rent Hertz in Europe. Many of the "famous" name rental companies we know in North America are franchises in Europe and not run like their N.A. counterparts--for the worse.
In Italy, CDW is governmental mandatory and it's fairly priced. Where rental companies try to get you is on a "theft" policy that covers luggage if stolen out of the car. I opt out of that coverage since many homeowners' policies at home cover you there.

Posted by
11056 posts

We always boo with AutoEuropecom and it is especially good for Italy with it’s insurance requirements.