Please sign in to post.

Car Rental Drop-off

As my flight had changed and I was leaving Italy one day sooner I called THRIFTY. I had rented my car from them to be picked up in Rome and dropped off in Milan. I wanted to change to the day earlier.To my shock...they said "OH we are no longer allowing one way rental and drop-off" I have the reservation in my hand but they said NO..but maybe when I get there they will honor it!!. They told ME to call Milan to make sure. I went online and made a one way, different airport reservation and it took without any problem.I called them again and again they said NO..they stopped one way rental..I was put on hold and 15 minutes later ,still waiting.I hung up .
Whats up????? Am I missing something????
Has anyone else had these problems???
Pat

Posted by
689 posts

We've never used Thrifty. Only autoeurope. They allow one way no problem.

Posted by
120 posts

We rented a car in Italy in September last year and had no problem with dropping the car off at a different town than we rented from. We were told it is very common.

Posted by
3313 posts

This is why I use Autoeurope. They have a 24/7 800 number in Maine. They answer the phone, they work with you on options and freely make changes. I've made numerous changes on each of my reservations, including changing the drop location while in Europe.

Posted by
10344 posts

Pat: Suggest you cancel your reservation with the people you're having trouble with, Italy is a fascinating country but the same concept of customer service that we're used to in the US doesn't apply to things like this. You want this nailed down. Follow Doug's advice.

Posted by
43 posts

Thanks everyone!! yes my Thrifty reservaion will be cancelled and I will use Auto Europe.I also have a car reservation in Ireland. I know exactly what you mean about the customer service.
PAT