Please sign in to post.

Car Rental

Sis and I are still working on our trip that we leave on in about ten days. After a few other stops, we will be traveling from Antibes, France, to Cinque Terre and going onto Florence via train. We are contemplating renting a car at the Florence Airport, going down to Tuscany area for a few days. I can't find any car that is an automatic and the automatics are diesel fuel. Is diesel fuel easy to find in that area and what is the terrain like? I don't feel like driving on "cliffs" with a stick shift if you know what I mean. We are still deciding if we want to stay in Florence or just "wing it" with a car taking our luggage with us and hoping we find a place to stay each night. Thanks for any input. Tried to see if this info had been posted before on the "advanced search" but this cut and paste business is way to "advanced" for me. :)

Posted by
1201 posts

Diesel is very common and available at most stations. Just make sure to not put gas in it. The diesel will usually get better mileage.

If you can drive a stick, you should be ok. The terrain is hilly but not straight up and down. Automatics are not as common.

If you decide to stay in Florence, don't pick up the car until you are ready to leave. You won't want or need a car in the city and won't have to worry about getting a ZTL ticket.

Rather than staying at different place each night you might want to stay a bit longer in one or two spots as a base. You'll usually lose a half day or so when you change locations.

Posted by
2297 posts

Diesel fuel is actually the preferred option. It's available at every gas station and it ends up being cheaper for you as the gas mileage can be up to 50% better than on gasoline.

Posted by
3313 posts

A rental car is the way to go in Tuscany and it will be cheaper if you reserve ahead of time through Autoeurope. Automatics are less common and more expensive - could be 50 percent more expensive, but should be available at the airport. As others have said, diesel is at every gas station and is called "gazole". I much prefer to have a diesel. Tuscany's terrain is pretty gentle. Hills, yes but not the steep hills and twisty roads of other places. If you'll only be there a few days, I'd agree with trying to base yourself at an agriturismo (an advantage of having a car) and taking day trips from there. We stayed at a great agriturismo north of Siena near the town of Quercegrossa but I've neved found it on the web. It was called the Mulino de Quercegrossa but I think it may have changed its name.