Please sign in to post.

car rental

Want to rent a car at the Rome Airport driving to near Orvieto. Will have 4-5 passengers with 4-5 carry on luggage. Want a smaller car for ease of parking in Itlay, but need to carry the luggage. Any thought on what car to rent that is not too big? What about using a rooftop carrier for luggage?Option would be to take the train to Orvieto and rent a smaller car there, but would have to spend the night in Orvieto to get a rental on a Sat. morning.???Thanks

Posted by
20944 posts

Sounds like your specs are mutually exclusive. Small car with 4-5 passengers with luggage. I think you will need a small van. Or rent 2 small cars.

Posted by
15832 posts

Check with AutoEurope. They have 3 websites (see below). Check all 3 as deals differ. Select the options you want (type of transmission, type of insurance coverage, etc.).
For 4 adults you need at least a station wagon or a minivan, or maybe a large car (also called estate car or family car in Europe).
If you want a small car, you need to rent two economy cars, assuming there are at least two adults with a driver’s license (and an International Driving Permit, which can be easily obtained at your local AAA office). Renting two small economy cars actually may not be more expensive than one large car or van).
Rent in Rome as Orvieto only has Hertz and the supply of cars at that small office may be limited. AutoEurope has stopped working with the Hertz office in Orvieto probably due to poor service or some dispute, therefore the Hertz option in Orvieto may not available if you use the websites below.

https://www.autoeurope.com/
https://www.kemwel.com/
https://www.autoeurope.eu/

Posted by
8299 posts

The car rental in Orvieto is Hertz, and it's across the parking lot from the train station. You can see online what cars they have to offer, but it's not a large operation like the airport locations. Sometimes they wouldn't have all kinds of cars. It's only a 70 minute train ride from Rome Termini train station.

You could get by with a mid size car for 4 people. 5 would push you to a full size car. Just make sure everyone has carryon's--no suitcases.

You might want to go online and see Hertz' Saturday morning hours. They may be limited. And most locations in smaller towns are not open on Sundays.

Posted by
82 posts

All
I have a question for the group.
People recommend various companies (Gemit, AutoEurope, Celtic Legends, etc) but I wonder why, in this age of the internet, we are not better of just contacting Hertz, Avis or Enterprise directly?
It is the same reason I may look at Bookings.com to find a hotel, but book directly with the hotel. The rates are always the same and if I have a problem I am not stuck behind a middleman.

I am sure many of you have rented overseas more than I have.

Regards,
Dennis

Posted by
15832 posts

I've done both.

You can check both ways (directly or via a broker like AutoEurope) and compare. Just make sure you compare apples to apples (like insurance options, and insurance deductible especially).

Be aware that many rental car companies may have the US company logo, but are independent franchises, therefore you are not actually renting from Hertz or Enterprise of America.

I just prefer AutoEurope, because I buy the full no deductible insurance from the get go, and when I get there at the local agency they don't try to sell me the extra insurance with their scary tactics.