Please sign in to post.

car rental

Can I rent a car in Germany and travel through to Italy and back again. Are there any restrictions moving from country to country in a rental car
Thanks

Posted by
166 posts

Yes. I've rented 20+ times in Europe on business and vacation, and all of the rental car contracts stated that you cannot take the car into Eastern Europe or on ferries to islands without explicit permission, but those are the only restrictions. Best to confirm with the rental company, of course, but in general cross-border driving in Western Europe is no big deal. Especially in Schengen countries where there aren't even any border checks.

Posted by
101 posts

Be sure of one thing, though.....you may be renting in Germany, but I think that cars that will be taken into Italy may be required to also add on the CDW and theft protection. I know that for Italy-only rentals, these are mandatory, not optional.....so be sure to read the restrictions to see if including Italy travel falls under those particular restrictions.

Posted by
32212 posts

chooch, A few comments about driving in Italy... One important point to note is that for driving in Italy, each driver must have the compulsory International Driver's Permit, which is used in conjunction with your home D.L. These are valid for one year, and easily obtained at any AAA office (two Passport-sized photos required, which in some cases are provided by the issuing office). Failure to produce an IDP if requested can result in fines on the spot! Have a look at This Website for more detailed information. You may also want to search other Posts here regarding the Zona Traffico Limitato areas that are becoming increasingly prevalent in many towns in Italy (especially Florence!). EACH PASS through one of the automated Cameras will result in a €100+ ticket! A GPS along with a good Map would also be a good idea. Be sure to also give some thought to the question of CDW. If you accept the CDW offered by the rental firm, it will be expensive but will provide "peace of mind". Some "premium" credit cards provide rental vehicle insurance, however I've found this to be somewhat complicated so I just accept that offered by the rental firm. Check the Car Rental section in Europe Through The Back Door for further information. Happy travels!

Posted by
1633 posts

You can rent a car in Germany, drive into Italy and back into Germany again without any problems. Just make sure you tell your rental agency that you'll be going into Italy. Sometimes they do not want certain cars to be in Italy. As the previous poster mentioned, if you are going into a former Eastern block country, you must let your rental agency know. Again, they restrict what cars can go into those countries and they may require additional insurance. If you are going through Austria or Switzerland on your way to Italy, you will have to buy a sticker for the car in order to use the Autobahn. Purchase them at the borders at the snack store. Have a great trip!

Posted by
50 posts

Ken, is an international driving license now compulsory?
We were driving around Italy in 2009 and didn't have to have an IDL....is this something new? We'll be going again this fall or next spring.