Please sign in to post.

Car rental

Hello everyone! We will be visiting Sicily toward the end of our trip in June. We are planning to rent a car because the plan is to visit a few towns that my husband's ancestors are from. My question is about returning the car. We are flying out of Palermo. Would it be better to return the car to a local office or take it to the airport ( We are looking at staying the night before in Palermo possibly near the city center)? Any suggestions and advice would be very much appreciated.

Posted by
15832 posts

If you plan to stay in the city the night before your flight, return the car in the city center when you arrive in Palermo, then the next day take a taxi or bus or train to the airport. You might need a taxi to go from the rental car agency where you return the car to your hotel, depending on how far it is.

You could also return the car at the airport the day you arrive to Palermo (the day before your flight) then take a taxi from the airport to the city center hotel. However the airport is not very close to the city center, therefore a taxi would be more expensive compared to returning the car in the city center. There are also buses and trains from the airport to the city center, if you don't mind lugging your suitcase on public transit.

I wouldn't keep the car in Palermo city center for the last night. Parking is scarce and expensive, also some areas of the center are forbidden to non resident vehicles.

Posted by
9 posts

Thank you Roberto. Do you have any suggestions on hotels around Palermo? Maybe between the city and airport and not too far from the catacombs?