Please sign in to post.

Car rental

We are 5 adults, likely in need of a van, for 4-5 days from Rome to FLorence. Trip Advisor reviews on car rental companies are blistering. There appears to be no good experiences save for one with a local company known as Il Girasole. What does the Rick Steves community recommend? I need your "good and bad company" experiences, and tips on hidden costs, charges and tricks played on customers. We rent September 30. Thanks
Steven in Seattle

Posted by
362 posts

I have used Europcar, Avis, and others, etc. all on Borgo Ognissanti with no issues. Took a car to France and Barcelona from Florence one summer, left it in a garage for 48 hours where something leaked on it, it ruined the paint on the hood and when I returned it the attendant said "no worries sir, it was probably already like that." I don't quite get all the horror stories. Driving into Florence can be hairy and should be avoided for first timers - but that doesn't really reflect on the car rental company. Most people here recommend renting from the airport to avoid this issue - again - I think this is a bit of overkill, especially now as Florence has gotten better at marking the roads you can not travel on. Some more tips here http://www.florence-on-line.com/travel-tips/car-rental/ And you have to take TA with a grain of salt. People use it to complain - keep that in mind. With probably what, tens of thousands of car rentals a year, it is bound to happen (a bad experience).

Posted by
3696 posts

I have rented about a half dozen times in Italy, with no problems. I usually use Budget, or Avis, or whatever company is the cheapest. ALL rental car companies, even here in the US, try to get you to do whatever it will take for you to pay more money. So, easiest way, is just figure in the cost of the insurances, or be prepared to say no. Also, do not prepay for the gas...always return full. There are some insurances that are covered in some countries by certain credit cards, but typically not in Italy. If you don't take the insurance they may put a huge hold on your cc. If I am renting with other adults (and I am always the driver) I make sure we take the insurance as we are all splitting the cost... so I don't want to deal with issues for everyone in case of a problem. Divided by 5, its not bad. Tons of people rent all the time and really only the complainers go to the sites to complain.