Please sign in to post.

Car Rental

And, my second question--Is Auto Europe the best place to use for renting a car in Italy? Although we're spending 2 weeks in Italy, we are only going to rent a car for 3 days while exploring Tuscany and Umbria. Can anyone recommend a good spot for picking up the car in Florence and then dropping the car back off once we arrive in Rome? I know this is a multi-part question, so MANY thanks in advance!

Posted by
10225 posts

Auto Europe is a consolidator. The car you choose determines the rental company. Some companies will charge a fee to drop off in another location, so be aware of that. You can call Auto Europe toll free to ask them questions. I always use them when I rent in Europe. You might consider picking your car up at the Florence airport to avoid the possibility of driving in a ZTL. Hopefully someone else can recommend a drop off place in Rome.

Posted by
23 posts

I, too, am interested in answers to fritzinewton's questions.

We will be arriving in Florence by train, so are trying to decide whether to pick up the car at the train station or downtown (wherever that is) and avoid the dreaded ZTL's. Also, our son will be arriving two days later by train and we will be picking him up at the train station. Does anyone know the best place to do that without getting into parking issues, etc.?

Posted by
1829 posts

My understanding is the ZTL gets you entering not exiting so from a location within a ZTL you can drive out, just follow the directions on how to do so directly.
If this and the traffic makes you nervous, renting from the airport is the safer bet.

For most of the agencies they may have multiple offices in Florence other than the airport, the one closest to the train station is likely on
VIA BORGO OGNISSANTI
It is not at the train station but a 5-10 minute walk away.

Auto Europe will book with a rental car company, be sure to select Avis, Hertz or Europcar ; all 3 are good the other options in Italy I would not trust.

Going back to the train station to pick someone up would be a problem, that does not sound like a good plan.

Posted by
23 posts

mreynolds:

Perhaps going back to the train station to pick someone up is not a good plan, I agree. Does anyone know of a good meeting place near the station where we can pick up our son?

Posted by
23 posts

mreynolds:

Have you had personal experience with AutoEurope and the car rental companies you named? Why would you not trust the others in Italy?

Posted by
1829 posts

Hopefully someone that knows the area better than I can reply.

Much of the city is within ZTL areas, if you google Florence ZTL zone map you should easily pull up online maps/images which show the ZTL areas. It appears there is a clear area not too far north of the train station, there is likely a parking garage near but no idea how easy this would be.

Could have him take a taxi or local bus to Piazzale Michelangelo which is outside the city walls but a main tourist site and has or had parking.
I am sure there are other similar places he could reach just outside of the ZTL zones.

Him taking a train to another town would also be an option.

As far as other rental agencies, remember Auto Europe is a consolidator, they are not an agency.
Kind of like using Hotwire or Kayak to book a room at a Hilton.
I use them but others go direct or use a different consolidator. I like that their customer service is in Maine if I have any questions.
If you research online reviews they border on bad to absolutely horrible for any agency other than the big 3 of Europcar, Hertz and Avis. it is downright scary how bad the reviews are countrywide for companies with names you know and have good reputations in the US.

To the OP:
Many people renting for the journey you are doing choose to drop off the car in Orvieto allowing them to see this town in Umbria and then it is an easy train ride from there to Rome. That is what I would do for the drop off if in your situation.