Please sign in to post.

Capuchin Crypt in Rome

Working on our Rome day by day Itinerary and want to visit the Capuchin Crypt the same day we are hoping to visit the Borghese Gallery 7/12( doesn't look like July booking are open yet)

Can we just show up?

From the website looks like it's open everyday 9-7p. tickets 8.50 euro with audio service, a guided tour is listed separately.

I can't imagine they let you go into the crypt alone???

I swear I read this info a few months back, but couldn't find it with a search.

Thanks in advance!

Posted by
7006 posts

We visited as part of a Walks of Italy tour but I do remember other visitors there- using audioguide and walking thru the rooms on their own.
It wasn't super crowded either- this was in late August.

Posted by
238 posts

We visited last month and just showed up. Compared to the crowds everywhere else we went, I would hazard a guess that you could easily just show up without a problem in July. There were maybe 6 people in there with us. By comparison, Piazza Barberini right around the corner with Bernini's Triton Fountain was packed as we walked to the museum.

As for going into the crypt, you do indeed go in alone. The first part is the museum where you will see Carvaggio paintings, relics and other interesting items. At the end of this section, there is are restrooms right before you enter the crypt - its basically a long hallway with niches showcasing different skeletal setups. There are museum personnel at the end of the hallway that keep an eye on you as you go down the crypt and i thought i saw security cameras - keep in mind that they do not allow pictures in there.

Morbidly fascinating place

Posted by
83 posts

Many THANKS!

sounds like we can definitely do this on our own by just stopping by.

ChristineH did you like the Walks of Italy tour? the tour was on our initial to do list, but not sure we have the time.

Posted by
7006 posts

LauraM-
Yes we did enjoy it- very much. It was one of 3 Walks of Italy tours we did (Pristine Sistine, Colosseum). All of their guides are excellent.
Our daughter had taken the same Catacombs/Crypts tour a few months before us and we had the same guide. I was impressed that the guide remembered our daughter- altho she did admit to being a bit intimidated by all her questions - she was an art history doctoral student at the time. :)

I think it actually saved us time- got us to 3 scattered sights in less time than we could have managed and all done while riding in an air-conditioned vehicle on a very hot day.

Posted by
83 posts

ChristineH,

Thanks again!

Glad to hear you liked your WOI tours. We have 2 tours booked with them Pristine Sistine and Pompeii. (I know Pompeii can be done on out own, but my husband decided he wants to do the tour)

I will keep the crypt tour in mind. I'm planning our last day in Rome, so I'm not sure I want to book the Catacombs tour and the Borghese, but the AC van sure does sound nice!

Laura

Posted by
7006 posts

Of the 3 sights on that Catacombs/Crypt tour I found the Capuchin Crypt the most fascinating- in a weird way- you should be able to get in and out in about an hour- maybe even less.

The good thing about Borghese is it is a timed limited entry- so you can plan with that in mind- you get 2 hours and out you go!
Walk down thru the park afterwards if that suits your plans for rest of the day- it is lovely.

I just took a look at WoI tours and see they have changed that tour-- the third stop is now Case Romane- our third stop was San Clemente.

We are doing the Mondo Guides shared tour of Pompeii from Sorrento. There are lots of places you can "do on your own" but we feel a good guided tour is a really efficient use of time and money. I hate walking around with my nose in a guide book.

We'll go back to the Colosseum on our own next month- we had a great tour- but now we can wander on our own.

Posted by
83 posts

ChristineH

I couldn't agree more on have a guide. My 14yo daughter is the person who has to be right next to the guide at all times and asks tons of questions! I chuckled at what you said about your daughter and the guide!

Enjoy your trip next month!