Please sign in to post.

Capri or Amalfi

I am still working on my itinerary. if you had 5 nights to split between Capri and Amalfi which would you stay 3 nights in rather than 2. Will be doing the Positano, Amalfi, Ravello tour from Sorrento which we will be staying 5 nights as well as ending trip in Naples for 4 nights. Thoughts appreciated. Thank you..

Posted by
278 posts

When are you going? What are your interests?

Both could be crowded. If we assume both are teaming with crowds, I like Capri, especially given its island flair and options for different types of experiences but my answer might be different, depending on when you go. It should be noted that if you want to shop, Capri will probably be pricier. Amalfi would have more flexibility in terms of transportation connections (easier to day trip from) and it does have a nice church and some of the same activities as Capri.

If you like to hike, the Path of the Gods should be on your itinerary since you’re in the area.

Posted by
3635 posts

When we visited Capri as a day trip from Sorrento, I regretted that we hadn’t spent one night there. If you get an early ferry one day and return to the mainland by one of the late afternoon ferries the next day, you’ll have enough time to do most of what you might want to do. At any rate, 2 for Capri, 3 for Amalfi.
Be careful about return ferries. The last one leaves surprisingly early.
You didn’t ask, but I’ll tell you that Positano is one of the most underwhelming places I’ve ever visited. All crowded streets lined with high priced clothing and souvenir shops.
Tourist trap alert: don’t bother with the Emerald Grotto. We only went because we’d exhausted our interest in Positano. The EG. is so bad, it’s almost a joke (on you if you go).

Posted by
11506 posts

We spent three days on Capri, wished it had been been four.

Posted by
7059 posts

Will be doing the Positano, Amalfi, Ravello tour from Sorrento

If you are already seeing the AC towns on this tour I don't see much reason to also stay in Amalfi.

Consider a few nights in Salerno- you can visit Paestum from there- a must see amazing site.

I'd say 3 nights Capri, 2 nights Salerno.
If you are headed to Naples after this leg then it is easier from Salerno than Amalfi. Direct train to Naples.

Do a search here for Salerno- myself and others have posted about our stays there many times. We enjoyed our 2 nite stay very much.

Posted by
16409 posts

OP is doing this trip at end of August into Sept.
I would agree that there's no real need to return to Amalfi if you'd already seen it on a day trip.

We've not done Salerno ourselves yet but there has been lots of love for that one from other posters who have. I'll vote 3 days Capri (which we have been to) and 2 for Salerno as well. Just a note of caution about the island? It's not a great location if you're planning on doing day trips elsewhere: choose that one only if planning to stay put.

Posted by
795 posts

YAY Salerno!

I'm a fan :)

But yes if you have already "done" the Amalfi Coast, then Salerno is a great idea. After all the tiny tourist towns on the coast a bigger "city" is also nice with normal people in it. Paestum is a great trip from Salerno, the two times I have gone to Italy in the last 10 years I have scheduled my Paestum day the day after arrival to give us a calmer day (as it only takes about 4-5 hours tops, sometimes even including lunch) before we start touring like crazy on the following days. One of my favorite things to do is just wander around the historic center or lungomare along the water during the "passeggiata" times shopping, eating, and doing life.

Vietri is another great option (especially for shopping for ceramics) just up the road with a handful of city buses going there too, I usually do that on my Paestum day in the late afternoon.

Posted by
1829 posts

By my count you have 14 nights yet planning on doing a single day trip to see Positano / Amalfi and Ravello from Sorrento?
I would cancel that tour it is not ideal for your situation. You clearly have enough time in the area to give a full day to Positano if you don't stay there and a full day for the combo of Amalfi/Ravello if you don't stay there.

Capri works well as an all day trip as well but would definitely have an appeal for 2-3 nights as well.
From Sorrento all of these work well as day trips.

Really your other 5 nights could also be kept at the same lodging in Sorrento if you didn't want to move around but it sounds like you would prefer to stay in more places.
To answer your question I would lean 2 nights Capri and 3 nights in either Positano or Ravello (notice I didn't say Amalfi as I feel it is not as nice as the other 2 to overnight in). Both Positano and Ravello have a different (much better) vibe after the day trippers have gone. I am certain the same can be said about Capri ; though I have never overnighted there ; only done day trips 2 different times.

Really though in your shoes, if you like to stay in different towns might prefer:
3 nights Sorrento (cancel the AC day trip), 3 nights Capri ferry from Sorrento, 3 nights Positano ferry from Capri, 2 nights Ravello after Positano via bus or driver ; then your 4 nights Naples at the end for the same total 15 nights.

Posted by
7059 posts

Be sure your understand the transportation issues from Ravello and Positano

You could visit those towns from Salerno by ferry/bus- easier and quicker.
Also less expensive lodging without worrying about how many steep steps to and from
JMO

Posted by
278 posts

I’m going to say something that might be controversial to some but in my opinion Positano is better to look at than visit or stay in. Nearby Praiano affords you the view without having to be directly in the mix.

Praiano, Sorrento, Capri, Ravello and Salerno are better options than Positano.

Posted by
16409 posts

OP is planning on staying in Sorrento for 4-5 nights, depending on which thread referenced.

And repeating this from another one of those threads: I'll personally disagree with advice to do Capri only as a day trip. If done during high season, you'll be smack in the middle of the heaviest crowds. As well, the last boats depart the island somewhat in the evening. Staying for a couple of nights allows for enjoyment the golden hours before the day-tripping hordes descend and after they leave.

But Sue, you have 4 threads going regarding where and how long to stay in various locations in the region, and we've yet to hear back from you on any of them:

Ravello or Salerno
Stay in Ravello or Amalfi
Sorrento, Capri, Amalfi, Naples
Capri or Amalfi

As we're all sort of floundering around at this point, and some advice is being repeated - such as my own regarding Capri above, and transport issues to/from Ravello - can you help us out a little? Where are you at with your itinerary, and have you solidified any of it enough that we can dispense with further discussion around any particular piece of it?

Posted by
7059 posts

But Sue, you have 4 threads going regarding where and how long to stay
in various locations in the region, and we've yet to hear back from
you on any of them:

I agree with Kathy.
it would be helpful if OP returned to at least acknowledge the suggestions given.

OP-
Have you settled on an itinerary? If not is there something else you need to know that we can help you with?

Posted by
8 posts

Definitely staying 5 nights in Sorrento, will do AC tour from there visiting Positano, Amalfi/Atrani, Ravello but am going to stay in Capri a few nights and Amalfi a few nights. hard to decide as people all say contradicting info. Some say stay in ravello, some say stay in amalfi, salerno. I think we will stay in amalfi as we like the hustle and bustle with shops and restaurants. we then willend up in naples for 4 nights. I am still getting wuotes from agencies in italy and again weighing my options to book all myself or not. always used tour agencies who booked evetything for useith private tours and a few small group food tours, cooking class etc. I guess i worry about all the transfers back and forth between hotels, tours, etc which we were so use to having handled for is butit definitely is a lot more $$$ doing itnthat way.

Posted by
7059 posts

Most folks here do all their own booking- it's quite easy.
Help available if needed.