Please sign in to post.

Capri

We will be staying in Positano for several days during May and would like to take a day trip out to Capri.

Is a semi private boat tour worth it over a ferry? Any must sees while over on the island?

I have also heard mixed reviews about the blue grotto.

Posted by
15807 posts

Must-sees are always subjective - your interests and mine may be different - but here are some things we did and enjoyed during our 1.5 days on the island, and a link to Capri's tourism site:

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/italy/ferry-from-sorento-to-capri

We were fine with the jetboat over (from Naples, and then from Capri to Sorrento) and wouldn't have spent more for a semi-private craft. Gave the Blue Grotto a skip and didn't regret it.

Posted by
6894 posts

I love the walk from Capri town to Villa Jovis. So much that I did it again a few years after my first visit to Capri.
Do not hesitate to use the funicular railway to get from the harbor to Capri town; it is quite the hike otherwise.

Posted by
15807 posts

I love the walk from Capri town to Villa Jovis

We loved it too, Balso. I'd do that one again for sure.

Posted by
7298 posts

I imagine Positano uses smaller boats for the long ride on the open Gulf, than does Sorrento. One reason we skipped the Blue Grotto is that it's so time consuming for a highly pedestrianized destination that cannot be seen completely in one day. In the last week of May we found the walk to Villa Jovis to be very long, sunny, and hot. There is no option to ride back. Not sorry we went, though.

Posted by
782 posts

I did the Blue Grotto a looong time ago, 1998 to be exact. Back then they used diesel fuel and I was nauseous
from the fumes on the 45 minute tour/ride to the grotto. Once inside, I was pretty underwhelmed. Didn't really find it spectacular. What was spectacular was on our trip to Positano in 2011, we rented one of those little motorized rubber boats to cruise along the Amalfi Coast. Now, that was spectacular. Just leaving Positano in the background, the view is indescribable! We even motored into a big cave (with no other tourists inside with us.). We anchored and swam up to a little waterfall, and docked in a derserted cove. It was an amazing day. If you decide to do a private boat, do something like that instead, in my opinion. If you only have a few days, I would skip Capri and go to Amalfi and Ravello. First of all, the ferry to Capri is not inexpensive and to enjoy Capri, I really think you need to spend a few nights to get your bearings and do it right. Amalfi is a super charming town that can be done in a morning or afternoon and Ravello has two incredible gardens with views that are to die for! I'd choose one of the gardens. I think I prefer Villa Cimbrone's gardens. You will love the Amalfi Coast. I've been there 3 times, but that was not enough. I returning this July for 2 weeks! We decided on a week in Positano, 4 nights in Ravello, and 4 nights on Ischia. I can't wait!

Posted by
782 posts

What does the walk from Capri to Villa Jovis entail, in terms of distance, steps, etc... What's so special about the walk or is it the destination, Villa Jovis, or both???

Posted by
15807 posts

We walked from the middle of Capri town to Villa Jovis, Piazzolungo/Natural Arch, Gardens of Augustus, Charterhouse of San Giacomo and some other locations without any issue. Other than a short bus ride up there, we also explored Anacapri easily on foot.

"What's so special about the walk or is it the destination, Villa
Jovis, or both???"

Did you read the info in the link?
https://www.capri.com/en/e/the-villas-of-tiberius

For us, it was about the walk AND the destination. If you get partway there and decide it's too much walking for you, you can always turn around and re-trace your steps. The view from up there is great, though.Take water and wear a hat. Let's just say that it's a notable chapter in the island's history, if you are interested in such things?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villa_Jovis

Posted by
2948 posts

Don’t know why a private boat to and from Capri would be worthwhile when it takes 30-minutes to / from Positano.
I visited the Blue Grotto and don’t feel it’s a must see. The guy who took a friend of mine inside tried putting his hand in my purse when I attempted to take photos.

Posted by
3595 posts

Nobody has mentioned Anacapri, which we liked a lot. It’s a bit quieter and less aimed at high end tourists than Capri. The floor of the church of S. Michele is a must see.

Posted by
464 posts

On our day on Capri we took the funicular up to Capri town and walked to the Gardens of Augustus where there is a lovely view of the Faraglioni Rocks and Marina Piccola. We also took the bus to Anacapri and enjoyed a walk behind the Villa San Michele for grand views of the Mediterranean and Marina Grande harbor below. We liked Anacapri a lot and had lunch outside at La Fenicia.