Please sign in to post.

Capri day trip or stay over?

Hi there -

My husband and I are staying in Positano for a week and are trying to decide if we should stay for one night in Capri before transferring back to Naples to leave, or if it is best to just take a boat day trip there that takes us around the grottos and let's us see the island for 3.5 hours. Any advice is appreciated!

Posted by
286 posts

My husband and I recently returned from a 4 night stay in Capri, so my vote would be to stay overnight. The center (Piazza Umberto) of Capri has a different feel once the sun goes down, the day trippers leave, and the locals come out in their chic attire to go clubbing and stroll the town center. During the day, you could first go to Ana Capri, stroll unhurriedly through the lovely town and small shops over to St Michael's Church to see the tiled floor, take the chairlift up Monte Solaro to see the amazing views, and tour Villa San Michele with its pleasant gardens and gorgeous views of the harbor. Have a leisurely dinner, wake up early the next day for a boat tour around the island and to see the Blue Grotto before it gets too hot and too crowded. If you just go for a few hours on one day to Capri, I think you would get a totally different feel for this breathtaking island.

Posted by
7010 posts

Just a personal opinion but, given the option, I would stay over. The best way to see Capri without hordes of tourists on day trips is to spend the night and enjoy the peaceful evening and early morning.

Posted by
630 posts

Ilana, let us know what you decide to do. We plan on going to Italy next October and I was wondering if we should stay on the island as well. Hope you have a great trip! We need a "like" button :) thanks for the previous responses from Aloharoberts and Nancy.

Posted by
3586 posts

A couple of years ago we did a day trip to Capri from Sorrento. Knowing what I know now, I would have opted to stay over one night. A day trip is hemmed in by the ferry schedule. We discovered that the last ferry back to Sorrento left earlier than we had anticipated. I'm remembering 5 or 6 in the afternoon. Actually, we never even considered that might be an issue. We had to leave plenty of time for getting back down to the marina. There was a lot we had no time to see, and the feeling of being rushed was not good.

Posted by
15679 posts

I'd vote for an overnight stay as well. We booked two nights on the island a few years ago, and it's indeed well worth being there in the evenings and early mornings before the day-trippers descend. We didn't do any boats trips as there was plenty to do on the island itself, and especially so if you're willing to do some hiking away from the busy piazzas during the day. Views from some of the high points are wonderful.

Posted by
7049 posts

Consider Anacapri as well, if staying over.