Please sign in to post.

Cantina Aperte Sunday 29 May 2011 Tuscany / Siena

Greetings!~ We are thrilled to find that our travel plans bring us leaving Rome on Sunday 29 of May this year, bound for Siena by car. I have heard it is Cantina Aperte weekend, the once a year event where wineries otherwised closed to the public open for wine tasting. Specifics however, seem to be hard to find. Would love some help!! We would love to visit some beautiful classic Italian winery estates. We are not cultured wine tasters, although have done our share of wine tasting home here in California. We are looking to taste table wines, common, affordable wines (not super). Hoping there will be 5-7 Tuscan wineries that someone can recommend that will be open after 6pm on on the Sunday? Would also be great to see them on a map. Would appreciate knowing of the approx costs of the wine tasting itself at wineries and anything else we should know about them. In addition, we would like to stay the night at a nearby agriturismo B&B. Can someone recommend some b&b's in the wine tasting area under 100Euros/ night? Preferrably in Siena. We are hoping to find accommodations with 2 beds for 2 people. May as well also mention, the Navigation rental (not the car) costs $100 on our rental car. I know, crazy expensive! Suddenly I'm in the market to buy my own Navigation system and see about dowloading Tuscany software ahead of time. Any pointers? Grazie for any help we can get! Ciao,
Carolyn

Posted by
3 posts

thank you Robyn. It's nice to have a starting place for buying a navigation system that will work there.
Ciao, Carrie

Posted by
267 posts

I wish I could help with the winery/agriturismo question. I wanted to do the same thing when I was there, but we ended up staying in Florence, near the Pitti Palace. As far as navigation system, geez, for that price, I'd buy my own here and download Italy maps. I have a Garmin Nuvi and I can buy maps of Italy (as well as other countries) and upload them into the device. I use my GPS fairly often and really love it!
Buon viaggio!