Please sign in to post.

Can English version of Rick steves italy 2016 be bought in Italy,and where?

I am in Rome and somehow left the precious 2016 italybook somewhere. Any ideas where I may find another. I am off to assisi tomorrow and to Florence the next day

Thanks

Posted by
658 posts

Try Feltrinelli in Florence (several locations- one at Santa Maria Novella train Station the other pretty close to the Duomo). There is also an English bookstore, Paperback Exchange on Via delle Oche which may have it. I know I've seen it in Florence- I spend a lot of time in bookstores and was in Florence for 8 weeks last summer but can't remember where.

Posted by
27211 posts

I have no personal knowledge of Rome's bookstores, but via Google I found that there's a place called the "Anglo-American Book Co." at Via della Vite 102, between the Piazza del Popolo and the Spanish Steps. Its phone number is 39 06 679 5222, and it's open 10:30-7:30 tomorrow (Friday). It reportedly has a "large selection" of travel guides. But 10:30 AM may be too late for you tomorrow. There are other Google hits that might be worth exploring.

Another possibility if the book shops don't open early enough for you would be getting to the train station early and looking for a news stand. You might get lucky.

If Rome doesn't work out, keep your eyes open in Assisi. If you're still guide-less when you reach Florence, I'm certain you'll be able to find a source there, but perhaps not on Sunday.

Posted by
3257 posts

You could try checking in your hotel lobby for a used copy. Most if not all of the hotels where I've stayed in Europe have a shelf of used travel guides in the lobby. I leave my RS guidebooks in the last hotel where I stay in a country. It looks to me like other people do the same thing.

Boy Priscilla - Great minds think alike!

Posted by
66 posts

Best bet is probably a hotel lobby. Hotel Aberdeen had quite a few when we were there in May.

Try the bookstore at Termini Station. Guide books & maps were on the upper level.
Good luck,
Gene

Posted by
15601 posts

Use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page. Tell the RS staff which cities you'll be in and they'll tell you which shops have the books. (worked for me a few years ago in Milan)

Posted by
11613 posts

I would buy it online and use your device to read it. I don't buy paper guidebooks anymore.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks everyone. I did get to termini station early, and given the immensity if the two storey bookstore, only a few Rick steves books, and not the big Italy 2016. I will try many of your fine advices. Thanks again.