Please sign in to post.

Can a vaccinated traveler from the United States go to Italy without quarantine?

Sorry if this has already been clarified. I was planning on going to Netherlands, but their new rules now include quarantine, even for vaccinated travelers from the U.S. Is it correct that for travel to Italy I will just need my CDC card and negative COVID test within 72 hours of travel to Italy?

Posted by
435 posts

From now until 25 October when Italy will review their policy again. But things could change at anytime.

Posted by
193 posts

If you are vaccinated you just need a test to enter Italy with a CDC card. If you are not vaccinated you have to do a 5 day quarantine

Posted by
28 posts

I will be leaving the U.S on. 9/24 and going for one week. Hopefully the rules will not change again before that time!

Posted by
28 posts

Thank you for your responses. I am fully vaccinated so if looks like (at the moment) I will need my vaccination card and testing within 72 hrs of departure and of course testing again within 3 days of return to U.S. Excited to be seeing Milan and Lakes Region for 1 st time!

Posted by
435 posts

The test must be taken a maximum of 72 hours before arrival, not departure.

Posted by
99 posts

BlockquoteThank you for your responses. I am fully vaccinated so if looks like (at the moment) I will need my vaccination card and testing within 72 hrs of departure and of course testing again within 3 days of return to U.S. Excited to be seeing Milan and Lakes Region for 1 st time!
Blockquote

Just curious what happens if you test positive before the return leg back to US? You would isolate in Italy?

Posted by
5285 posts

Just curious what happens if you test positive before the return leg back to US? You would isolate in Italy?

Yes. Travel in these times are not for the faint of heart. I leave for Rome in a day. At this point, I do not have test results, waiting on a PCR, take a rapid test (with results guaranteed in 24 hrs or less) in the morning, hoping they come back negative...or start cancelling.

Due to uncertainty, we opted to book only the first 7 nights, plus picked up a couple Ryanair tickets and a car reservation for a week.

Still have 2 1/2 weeks of hotels not booked, will do as we go.

Plan is to spend most of the time in Sicily, they went Yellow a week ago, we are ready, if needed, to drop that and go someplace else. We also opted to stay only in Italy, rather than complicate things by adding countries, but would also change countries if needed.

Coming back, we can both afford the cost and time to quarantine for 10 days if needed.

Posted by
2141 posts

Just don't fly British airways there. (Or any other combination of airlines that involves a transfer in the UK.)

Posted by
25723 posts

Just don't fly British airways there. (Or any other combination of airlines that involves a transfer in the UK.)

that is no longer an issue. Just needs a test before acceptable to UK - a well chosen one which can suit for both US and UK, a PLF and if you leave the airport a day 2 test booked and paid for.