Please sign in to post.
Posted by
51 posts

I see people in Piazza Navona at this hour as well. A few, which is more than I've seen for weeks.

Posted by
1944 posts

That is such good news. The piazza, even with its bustle, is one of my very favorite places on Earth. Have stayed there off-season twice--once at a hotel for two nights, once at an apartment for a week. And even in February the daily market is vibrant with fruits & vegetables of the day, flowers, and the magnificent spice blends I've brought back home & am still using.

Salumerias & bakeries on the perimeter or just down one of the spoke-like narrow streets. Lavanderias, a bank. Multiple places within a few steps to buy a morning caffe. The Tiber is a 5-minute walk. We found any Italian cuisine from Pugliese, Siciliano and traditional Roman a few minutes walk away at most. Even though it has its share of tourists, Campo de' Fiori is definitely a neighborhood. Crossing fingers to visit a year from now, next April.

Posted by
163 posts

I see the usual restaurant canopies but no vendor stalls or even any people.

Posted by
1187 posts

Look in the morning or early afternoon, Rome-time. They were there Friday and Saturday.

Posted by
163 posts

Sure enough! Looks like about a dozen stalls open and a few people walking through. Not the usual crowd but so good to see anyone out and about!

Posted by
1944 posts

1:30 PM Rome time today, grey & rainy, about 10 tents set up, taking up maybe 15% of the piazza, if that. Since I know they set up at about 6AM, maybe some have gone home already. And I'm sure some vendors are staying home, because they know daily traffic will be light (Tourists? What tourists?) and/or they can't procure the right fruits, vegetables or floral.

I'll be monitoring this daily, as this webcam may be a singular indicator of Rome's return to whatever-it-is-going-to-be. (I refuse to use the phrase 'new normal'.)

Posted by
1944 posts

Floral vendors are back!

Piazza is about 50% full, still a little shy of customers, but they'll come back.

I feel much better about the Italians' resolve than I do about the current climate in this country. Way too many mixed messages--people don't know whether to, pardon my French, 's**t or go blind'.

On my first trip to Italy 10 years ago, we started out in Sicily. We based in Taormina--although very picturesque, it's about as touristy as you can get. But we took the 'Godfather Tour' up to the little medieval villages where the movies were shot, Forza D'Agro, Castelmola & Savoca. Our guide drove us around the hairpin turns on the mountains, real white knuckle stuff (although totally exhilarating!) and we passed some smaller hamlets that couldn't even be called a town, just a few caves & people, positively prehistoric. And I remember thinking...man, if I ever had to really escape, this would be a place they'd never find me!

Why does that look quite inviting to me now?

Posted by
2047 posts

Eric, Thanks for posting this link. I find myself checking to see how many more people are venturing out each day to many of Rome’s most famous sites.