Please sign in to post.

camping in Italy

My husband wants to bike across Italy and camp out along the way. We are having a hard time finding campground information. Lots of the "campgrounds" appear to be resorts rather than regular campgrounds. Anyone have any tips on this?

Posted by
15298 posts

http://www.camping.it/ Everything you need is here. I hope this is not a winter trip, because many places are open in the spring/summer only. Yes, many Italian campgrounds are as organized as full resorts, especially along the coast. Unlike resorts, though, you'll be sleeping in your own tent, but they have everything: mega swimming pools, bars, discos, restaurants, sports facilities, even movie theaters. Lots of places in August sell out quickly and require reservations long in advance (some places sell out after mid July as well). Camping outside of designated campgrounds is prohibited in nearly all places.

Posted by
1715 posts

Chelley, As someone who has tried and tried, I'm sorry to tell you that tent camping is very difficult in Italy. The camping season is short, it's oriented toward 'caravans', and the campgrounds are clustered in vacation areas. I suggest you look staying at B&B's.