Please sign in to post.

Camogli

Has anyone been to Camogli, along the Italian Riviera?

I'll be in Cinque Terre for a few days in just over a week, and as beautiful as I've heard it is, I would like to spend a little time in some place that hasn't experienced the "Rick Steve's effect" (Camogli isn't even listed in Rick's book). I've heard it's similar to Portofino, but less touristy.

If anyone has been there, is it worth a visit over Portofino? Can I take a train there from Riomaggiore, or will I need to take a train & bus like Portofino?

Posted by
11 posts

Absolutely beautiful and nothing like touristy Portofino. Beautiful little village on the water where you won't run into many americans. You can take the train from Riomaggiore and it takes an hour.

Posted by
3601 posts

I'll join the others with a vote for Camogli. If you go, have a meal at Ristorante Rosa. Fabulous food! We were staying in Sta. Margherita when we visited, so I can't speak to transportation, but I suggest you check out the possibility of a boat trip. So much more fun. We got to Portofino on a boat. It is lovely, but pricey.

Posted by
401 posts

Camogli is beautiful. I also suggest taking the ferry to San Fruttoso from Camogli as an afternoon excursion, it is one of the most beautiful spots in Italy....Camogli is much more low key than Portofino, more of an actual town than an elite spot for super rich people. On weekends during the warm months expect tourists, especially Italian tourists from up North who want to get a bit of sea and sand.

Posted by
1883 posts

Cool, we finish a bike tour on May 28 with a night in Camogli. Great to hear it's so pretty. Our plan is to hike to Portofino and take the ferry back to Camogli.
Biking and hiking - it doesnt' get any better!