So I am reworking our canceled May trip to Lake Como, Verona, Venice and Assisi for May 2021. I know it is hardly clear at this point whether it will happen but if we have to postpone another year, we will. Because my son has started graduate school, we have to go earlier in 2021 (and 2022 if that is what happens) than we had originally planned and that has created a few challenges.
We will fly into Milan. I had decided to go to Verona first and Lake Como last (after checking actual temperatures for last five years-thank you acraven) and was debating order to visit Venice and Assisi (which would involve renting car in Perugia to be able to see Umbria). I was planning to spend three nights in Venice and four in Assisi so either MondAY May 3 through Friday May 7 in Assisi or Thursday May 6 through Monday May 10 in Assisi. Turns out these dates both overlap with Calendimaggio.
I wouldn't mind seeing some of it, although have no idea what but am concerned about crowds--both in terms of finding place to stay and crowds in Assisi.
I am looking for input whether best thing to do would be
1) go to Assisi May 3-May 7;
2) go to Assisi May 6-May 10;
3) avoid staying in Assisi and stay in Spello instead during one of these times;
4) go to Assisi before Verona so leave before it starts. We originally were going to go to Assisi first from Milan but turns out has a couple disadvantages, If you want fast train, have to buy in advance with big cushion or pay a lot on the day of. I also won't drive after flying so would need to return to Perugia to rent cars.. For these reasons, we had decided to not start in Assisi on the Italy trip redo. But that is before I realized the Calendimaggio will take place in Assisi the first week of May.
Any insights or advice? We can't adjust the dates of our trip because of my son's schedule.